iPod lineout adapter.

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

jperryss
Re: iPod lineout adapter.

Post by jperryss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:30 pm

palmertech wrote:Nope. Those are just headphone out, not lineout, so I am still safe. :mrgreen:
Not sure I understand the difference here? It's a female jack extracted from the dock connector. How could it be anything but a line-out?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Lineout signals are a certain voltage and signal strength. The headphone jack is amped to drive headphones, and has a variable control.

The dock connector has both, lineout is pins 3 and 4, and headphones are 5 and 6.

Considering that the people are commenting that it is good for their iPod with a broken headphone jack, and no complaints about lack of volume control, it seems like just a secon headphone jack.

Excellent

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:51 pm

palmertech wrote:Lineout signals are a certain voltage and signal strength. The headphone jack is amped to drive headphones, and has a variable control.

The dock connector has both, lineout is pins 3 and 4, and headphones are 5 and 6.

Considering that the people are commenting that it is good for their iPod with a broken headphone jack, and no complaints about lack of volume control, it seems like just a secon headphone jack.
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't know that there were also pinouts for a standard headphone jack within the dock connector. I'll go edit my other post.

Would these work (assuming I could use RCA plugs instead of a headphone plug, ie to run into a stereo receiver)?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Apparently, the TV out is also using the headphone jacks, so you can control the volume for your ipod. :( It works fine, but the sound quality will suffer.

Amazing that nobody has jumped on this market hole except for those $40 profiteers. DX could make a ton of money selling these for $10, and they cost almost nothing to make. :P

Excellent

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:06 pm

palmertech wrote:Apparently, the TV out is also using the headphone jacks, so you can control the volume for your ipod. :( It works fine, but the sound quality will suffer.
Booooo. So basically no benefit over using the standard headphone jack. WTF.

Any easy way to tell whether it's using the line-outs or the headphone-outs, other than by trusting the description?

If all else fails, how much to make me one? :mrgreen:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Just try using the ipod volume control. If you can make it louder/quieter, it is not lineout.

Not sure, I am going to order some more USB cables off DX and see if I can replicate this without wasting them all. :lol: Actually, I might get those headphone ones, and just rewire the pins. It would look stock.

Excellent

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:33 pm

palmertech wrote:Just try using the ipod volume control. If you can make it louder/quieter, it is not lineout.
Well yeah, I knew that. ;) Stinks that the descriptions on a lot of these are so vague and you really can't tell.

The plan is to pick up two line-out adapters; one for permanent use in my car (through the AUX IN on my headunit) and the other will be paired up with an amp for headphone duty. I'm leaning towards the Fiio E5.

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm looking into that too.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:47 pm

palmertech wrote:The dock connector has both, lineout is pins 3 and 4, and headphones are 5 and 6.
Back to this for a second....are you sure? This pinout chart indicates that 5 and 6 are actually inputs, not headphone outputs like you mentioned.

http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:55 pm

Hmm... You are right, I was just going off memory. :P

I will order those DX adapters and take a look-see.

Excellent

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:05 pm

palmertech wrote:Hmm... You are right, I was just going off memory. :P

I will order those DX adapters and take a look-see.
So how possible is it that ALL of these dock adapters are providing a line-out, and that a headphone-out doesn't even exist off of the dock connector?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Okay, from what Bibin has told me, it check the resistance of the connector. If there is none, it defaults to lineout, but can also output amplified sound.

So, all that might need to be done is crack the case, then pull out whatever resistor they have! :mrgreen:

Excellent

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:32 am

palmertech wrote:Okay, from what Bibin has told me, it check the resistance of the connector. If there is none, it defaults to lineout, but can also output amplified sound.

So, all that might need to be done is crack the case, then pull out whatever resistor they have! :mrgreen:
So as of right now, the answer is "I dunno?" Heh.

I've got a dock->RCA adapter on the way from an eBay seller.
I've also got one of those dock->line/headphone out adapters on the way from DealExpress. So I guess I'll report back in a week or two.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:27 am

Awesome. :mrgreen:

Excellent

lazer_174300

Post by lazer_174300 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:30 pm

palmertech wrote:I could have added charging easily, but I was looking into the ipods lineout turns out that charging at the same time gives a slight hum to the music (Like the DS, but not as bad).

I rarely listen to music in more than a few hour sittings, anyways, so I should be fine.
Yup, just the same song. Over and over and over and over and over. Then I see you and you don't stop singing/whistling that song. Then you go " OMG let me show you this awesome song!" Then *facepalm*

BUUUUTTTT that was off-topic. Sorry. And it doesn't usually have that many thens.
We.herd.you.liek.over.9000.so.we.put.an.all.your.base.are.belong.to.us.in.yo.car.so.you.can.belong.to.shoop.da.whoop............. while you drive. withabaseballbat