NOGO: NintendO on the GO | EDIT: Dead. Pg.3 for details

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:58 am

Nice and clean. I like it! Keep up the good work!
We Didn't Start The Fire! Watch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pjoRZNzC0
Andrew wrote:{I was so happy} I was singing in my head!
me wrote:What song?
Andrew wrote:All of them

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:55 am

Looks like you've been taking notes from vomitsaw :D

Excellent job on your portable! It's so clean inside - that's what makes a clear case look cool. I like what you did for the select and start buttons. I think it's clever.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:11 am

Thank you for all the nice comments. :wink: To keep the wiring neat, I used small pieces of electrical tape.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:46 pm

After a while, the electrical tape may unravel - tip - seal the ends with a couple of blobs of glue to stop the unravel.

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:00 pm

Mario wrote:
Sun-Wukong wrote:Pretty awesome. One question though, why are the Start and Select buttons the same as the A and B buttons? Not to nit-pick or anything, it just looks kind of... weird.

Also, what's the game in the bottom of the stack?
I couldn't get hot glue to stick to the rubber of the normal Start and Select buttons. I kind of like it like that, anyway. :)
That makes sense. What's the game on the bottom of the stack, though?
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol:

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:58 pm

you said this is your first project?
Incredible :shock:
the case is very clean, all boards are allocated perfectly inside,there aren´t mass of wires laying arround,the components & parts are perfectly aligned.
I also cant see any dirty´s finger shadow at the case,nice! (I saw lot of portables with lot of those at the screen and case, I don´t like that!) under the system, near the ac power plug, is there a headphones plug? or it is the video/audio (minijack version)? Also have other questions:

* it have only one speaker? (Idk if the nintendo output mono sound only)
* how much the battery life is?
* I can see the screen is under the plastic case, does the front plastic ruins a lot the screen view when playing?

* how much time you spent at this project?
* is the system be able to run meanwhile the batteries are charging?

I think the only bad stuff is the most of the game cartridge is outside the case, and a nes cartridge is really huge :lol:

nice job :wink:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Have you ever played with heat shrink before? It's fun :D
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Skipped all the comments. I just want to say how nice your soldering and organization job is. I give it a 10/10, except for the case itself, which is pretty simple (Box, cartridge location). But hey, it's your first one! And, like I said, 10/10 for the rest. AMAZINGLY neat, clean, and organized inside.
Hey, sup?

jackfb13

Post by jackfb13 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Life of Brian wrote:Have you ever played with heat shrink before? It's fun :D
Heat shrink rocks! Then again I think anything where you get to play with a heat gun is cool.

I always hated screens without a cover/protector of some kind, so keeping it inside the case is cool. Anyway nice first portable!

Shoot me an invite!

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:32 pm

Thank you all for these wonderful comments! I'm glad you like my portable so much. :D To answer all your questions/comments:
bacteria wrote:After a while, the electrical tape may unravel - tip - seal the ends with a couple of blobs of glue to stop the unravel.
Thanks for the tip. :wink: I did notice it unravelling, so I used some normal clear tape on top.
Sun-Wukong wrote:
Mario wrote:
Sun-Wukong wrote:Pretty awesome. One question though, why are the Start and Select buttons the same as the A and B buttons? Not to nit-pick or anything, it just looks kind of... weird.

Also, what's the game in the bottom of the stack?
I couldn't get hot glue to stick to the rubber of the normal Start and Select buttons. I kind of like it like that, anyway. :)
That makes sense. What's the game on the bottom of the stack, though?
I think the bottom game is one of my four copies of Super Mario Brothers / Duck Hunt. Why? Do you want a list of all the games I have?
kasar wrote:you said this is your first project?
Incredible :shock:
the case is very clean, all boards are allocated perfectly inside,there aren´t mass of wires laying arround,the components & parts are perfectly aligned.
I also cant see any dirty´s finger shadow at the case,nice! (I saw lot of portables with lot of those at the screen and case, I don´t like that!) under the system, near the ac power plug, is there a headphones plug? or it is the video/audio (minijack version)? Also have other questions:

* it have only one speaker? (Idk if the nintendo output mono sound only)
* how much the battery life is?
* I can see the screen is under the plastic case, does the front plastic ruins a lot the screen view when playing?

* how much time you spent at this project?
* is the system be able to run meanwhile the batteries are charging?

I think the only bad stuff is the most of the game cartridge is outside the case, and a nes cartridge is really huge :lol:

nice job :wink:
Thanks for the awesome comment. :wink: To answer your questions:

1. "Is it only one speaker?" Yes, the NES is mono, but I could have made it stereo if I wanted. (True stereo, not just the same sound through two speakers)

2. "How long is the battery life?" I don't have the exact mAh for my battery because it didn't say on the case it came in. (It came from a portable DVD player.) But looking at similar batteries online, it looks like it has about 5,500 mAh. That means I should get about 4.5 hours of playtime.

3. "Does the front plastic ruin the screen view a lot?" In short, not at all. The plastic has no scratches really, and it doesn't even look that bad in the sun.

4. "How much time did you spend on this project?" About three months.

5. "Is the system able to run while the battery is charging?" Yes.
Life of Brian wrote:Have you ever played with heat shrink before? It's fun :D
Greatest stuff ever! (Besides hot glue) :) I used it a lot in this project.
Kurt_ wrote:Skipped all the comments. I just want to say how nice your soldering and organization job is. I give it a 10/10, except for the case itself, which is pretty simple (Box, cartridge location). But hey, it's your first one! And, like I said, 10/10 for the rest. AMAZINGLY neat, clean, and organized inside.
Thank you so much! I've seen portables with clear cases before, and they looked HORRIBLE; but only because the maker didn't take the time to make it look nice. I spent a big portion of my time on the project making everything neat and tidy. I must say, if you want a good-looking portable, a clear case is definitely the hardest way to go. :wink:

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Is there a Youtube Video?

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

No, but I'll have one eventually. I''m writing an Instructable on how to make a portable game system, and I will have a video then.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Mario wrote:No, but I'll have one eventually. I''m writing an Instructable on how to make a portable game system, and I will have a video then.
That's great! will the instructable have step by step giude, or will it just be some useful advice?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Mario

Post by Mario » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:39 pm

themadhacker wrote:
Mario wrote:No, but I'll have one eventually. I''m writing an Instructable on how to make a portable game system, and I will have a video then.
That's great! will the instructable have step by step giude, or will it just be some useful advice?
Step-by-step. The instructions will lean more towards a portable NES, but I will write it to cover any kind of game system, and what kind of options you have when building a portable. Like what screens you can get, how to do LED mod and anti-glare mod, different kinds of regulators, etc. Just a general guide to making a portable.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 pm

I concur. This portable is super clean looking. If only yall could see the insides of my Duop >_>
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."