Bacteria's Mini-Platform plug'n'play system - NOW with GBA !

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by lovablechevy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:52 am

bacteria wrote:Cut out larger hole today for larger d-pad. It is right up against the PSone mobo inside, but fitted fine. Responsive, and better suited for larger hands than the other (GBA / GC one).

was it hard to go back and cut the hole after you'd already had the finish done...? always makes me nervous to go back and cut after i've painted and all...
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:25 am

No, it was fine, I was careful! I could have repainted and revarnished, but didn't need to in the end.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:31 am

Changed the pic on last screen; camera takes great pics but has problems with taking good shots of varnish coated paint for some reason!

As well as my system being on Engadget, HackaDay and Gizmodo, I have just been sent an e-mail from http://www.dayoffame.com to say my video is going to be their video for the day tomorrow. Cool!

Although my website has only (only!) had about 5,500 hits extra from my project; my YouTube video has had 16,400 hits and some very good comments posted on it. The vast majority of these hits are from Engadget (and a blog site I noticed) as they posted the YouTube video link directly on the article; hence why the large difference in the figures above.

Tried to do a GBA with this system via a different tv out viewer card, the "Big screen GBA TV converter" - it sucks. You have to clip the ribbon cable to the back of the normal cable - doesn't work. I still have my trusty Transverter from my old Nintendo 64 Advance project; will rip that apart and use the Transverter from that.

Looking forward to getting the GBA working on my console!

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 am

Repainted the system, decided on same colour as frankly I like it!

Please have a look at the video : YouTube

Like it??

zzattack

Post by zzattack » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:24 am

That's cool, I really like your hot glue as filler trick :)

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:02 am

Wow thats a great job. The only thing I dislike is how dark the gameboy looks when painted compared to your actual system the gameboy pj looks bad.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:09 am

Nonsense Man wrote:Wow thats a great job. The only thing I dislike is how dark the gameboy looks when painted compared to your actual system the gameboy pj looks bad.
Same texture, paint job and colour as the main system (same paint pot and small brush too for that matter!). I could have left it as it was but seeing hot glue, wiring, etc is not that sightly.

Both the GBA and the system are the same in looks and appearance (intentionally). The system looks slightly better of course as the paint job is broken up by a screen and coloured buttons which gives it more variety.

Pleased you like it. It will be interesting to see what sites host this, and how many YouTube viewings I get (the Mini System has had over 17000 viewings, 60th most viewed YouTube video from UK last month apparently). Hoping to exceed that! :D

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm

I will post the sites who host my system on this post:

Getting much better comments this time around (inc on YouTube)! :D

Hosted on:
* HackADay
* EnGadget
* GoNintendo

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 am

I really like how this mini system is working and how well the gameboy games work on the bigger screen.

Keep up the good work, this mini platform system looks great.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:01 am

Thanks very much.

For some weird reason, I looked on my website today, everything had gone. All was fine last night.

My backup was a week old, restored that and rebuilt the data on the pages that were lost, including my new sections; also improved the visuals and navigation in places.

All is now fully up to date and fully backed up. If the data goes again, I can have it all restored in a matter of minutes with no fuss. Please have a look on the site if you are interested in how this system was made.

No idea if someone hacked the site or the server lost the data though. All fine now. I lost some data when I upgraded the SohoLaunch software yesterday, that was the likely culprit.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Nearly got another addon done - Capcom - 3 games: 1942, Commando, Ghouls and Ghosts.

Only using paper for the front for the decals now, don't need it elsewhere - don't know why I didn't think of this before: when case made for plug'n'play addon, used an electric sander to grind the surfaces smooth and flat - the perspex sands down nicely, the hot glue melts and so fills in any imperfections in the joints and also seals; the surface is roughened, so only needs one coat of paint to finish the job!