SS's Wii Laptop, The WiiL! 10th Portable Woot!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:28 am

Your nicest yet, your skills are improving!! :D

Perspex is very tough, I used 3mm for the front of my case, 2mm for the rest. 3mm is very rigid; destroyed my chuck on my dremel (had to buy a new one).

If you relocate the PSone contrast and volume buttons you can fill in that gap in your case nicely. If you also fill in the holes around the buttons and paint the system you should have a nice looking system. Use regular paint (wall "feature" paint) on a mini roller - I made the mistake of using one-coat paint on my case front and it was VERY hard to work with.

It looks like your case top (screen, etc) is thicker and slightly bigger than mine (incorporating my N64 system)! Looking at the pic, it looks like the Wii mobo will just fit in my multi-project system, when I can get a Wii cheaply that is!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:02 am

grossaffe wrote:a bit off topic (ok, completely off topic), but where do you guys get those smash bros sigs?
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=23487
:arrow: Dont bump the topic, just PM the starter: ghosstt
Kyo wrote:Nice.

*Paradox Rambling*
Thanks! :lol:
bacteria wrote:Your nicest yet, your skills are improving!! :D

*more text removed*

It looks like your case top (screen, etc) is thicker and slightly bigger than mine (incorporating my N64 system)! Looking at the pic, it looks like the Wii mobo will just fit in my multi-project system, when I can get a Wii cheaply that is!
I built the top half without actually taking any width into consideration, it gave me room for error.

You should be able to incorperate a wii into your project nicely.

Something I learned: Due to the thickness and length and overall size of the wii, I would recommend using it for when you(anyone) wants to make a handheld GCp. Its just much better to work with. (especially the DD, duh!)

Also: I built My sensor bar into my WiiL, so I fashioned this from the IR LED's that I got from the robot brains I used for the screen battery packs:

Its a wireless sensorbar.

Remember, even though its not pretty, anyone of you would still enjoy playing it! :) Come on, Its a wii laptop!

SS Image
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:46 am

Do you still have the guts from the two lego robotics things? I would be interested in buying them from you if you do. (FYI, the yellow one is called an RCX, the blue is called Scout)

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:32 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:
grossaffe wrote:are those legos on top?
Yes, they are the bottoms of the old "brain" type devices which were part of the lego robotics sets. I stole both battery holders and covers from my favorite childhood toys.
So whats in the battery holders? I counted 10 C batteries in the bottom half of the case.

If you do make any changes and if there is enough room, I would suggest putting a samll usb keyboard in there.

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Pretty sick work :)

I agree with the others though, a lick of paint wouldnt hurt :wink:

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:53 am

I just had an idea from the "frozen in ice" comment.

1) Get something pourable, but not harmful to screens or anything.
2) Move any moving parts to the top/outside of the pourable mold.
3) Pour the clear, pourable substance all over your invention, so your portable is now one big chunk of acrylic or something, no need to build a fancy case and still looks sick. Of course, the controller and switches/jacks is the hard part. They would all need to be on the same side, or be drilled in afterwards.
Hey, sup?

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:49 am

great job shocky, these are becoming more and more presentable!

~Krepticor
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 pm

Nice idea kurt!

So, your all saying that my cases are getting better? *giggle* No one has ever told me that before! :lol:

SS

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Hmmm...if you pour something clear like epoxy or whatever, then let it dry and pour more on top, will you get a line? What's something that will fuse together to make a seamless thing?

I've always wanted to immortilize the greatness that is the guts of a GBO, and with layered epoxy or something, i could make a cool 3D view of it.

You know, the kind of view where all the parts are lined up along 2 axes, and along the 3rd they're spaced out so you can see each individual part?
Hey, sup?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Hmmm...if you pour something clear like epoxy or whatever, then let it dry and pour more on top, will you get a line? What's something that will fuse together to make a seamless thing?

I've always wanted to immortilize the greatness that is the guts of a GBO, and with layered epoxy or something, i could make a cool 3D view of it.

You know, the kind of view where all the parts are lined up along 2 axes, and along the 3rd they're spaced out so you can see each individual part?
I saw something like that done with an ipod. Can't remember where, but you can probably find it on Google.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Hey, sup?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Well, I worked on it today.

I installed a chain to keep the weight on the bottom half of the portable, and not just the hinges, and I moved the black gob of wires coming from the top half into the top half, leaving only a tiny tiny small ribbon cable of 6 wires.

I have talked with my dad(who has experience in mechanical engineering) about some stuff I can improve it with, as well as techniques for improving the case.

SS

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:06 pm

That looks awesome! :D

Like the clearcase.

NixonTech2071

Post by NixonTech2071 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:19 am

CLEAR!!! Nice work bacteria!
I cant hack yet... But I can help with "LazyMods"!!!

nc

Post by nc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:01 am

NixonTech2071 wrote:CLEAR!!! Nice work bacteria!
Is it that hard to take note of the topic starter? Unless you meant something else.

Nice work! My favourite of yours is still your most recent N64 though :wink: .