NES mini (entire NES system in controller!)

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:48 pm

Wow, you are famous.

zipper

Post by zipper » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:06 pm

Top work G-force.
Really impressed!!!

I have a couple of questions I hope you don't mind answering... I notice that the SJ3 doesn't have a 7805 regulator on it, yet you've added one... As well as using it for the LEDs, have you applied the 5v to pin 1 on the SJ from the regulator too? If so, does that mean the regulator is doing the job of the few components that are around the original power jack on the superjoy?

A related question... You've nicely relocated the parts from the NOAC board, but I can't see any of the parts from the controller board of the SJ there - are none of them required at all?

One final question... I've managed to get a SJ3 PAL version. I'm pretty sure that the only difference is the large metail component - mine is rated at 26.6017Mhz - PAL signal i guess - do you remember what was written on your (NTSC I assume) version? - also, do you know what this type of component is called out of interest?

Thanks for any answers, and once again - that's one top mod you've done there!

Edutainment

Post by Edutainment » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 am

lmao I have Big Nose! I think I got it for a few bucks at Cash Converters when I was like... 9? I never thought much of it's retarded case w/ switch on the back, never figured it was pirate but you're probably right.

ryanprodj

Re: Yeah when you start mass producing these

Post by ryanprodj » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:16 pm

MrTroy wrote:Let me know when you start mass producing these. I'd want a couple myself :)
Please oh please. I'd buy one! - Heard about it from Retrogamingradio!

Ryan

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:42 pm

I would make some more, but it looks like the cheapest I can get the super Joys, the main component, would be $28. Add shipping, the rest of the parts, labor, and it would end up about $90 total. Anybody still want one? :P It's still cheaper than buying a NES and all those games when you think about it. But it's still a lot.

@Zipper, sorry for not seeing your post there. I dont know if you will get this or not, but I'm glad to answer your questions.

1: Yes. And yes. Some super joys use other components than a 7805, but they still do the same thing, that is output +5V.

2: Nope, not really. Other than the 7805, I took out the controller board completely and just used the original NES controllers board and IC in place of it.

3: It's a crystal. I believe it's used for the timing on the refresh rate for the TV lines. Or something like that! I don't know much about electronics. Mine was... Well I don't know, because i don't have a single picture of the right side of it, unfortunatly. I think your idea of switching the crystal out for the correct one for your region might work, but I don't know.

ryanprodj

Post by ryanprodj » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:21 pm

G-force wrote:I would make some more, but it looks like the cheapest I can get the super Joys, the main component, would be $28. Add shipping, the rest of the parts, labor, and it would end up about $90 total. Anybody still want one? :P It's still cheaper than buying a NES and all those games when you think about it. But it's still a lot.
I'll take one.

Ryan

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:43 pm

It's cool but, that cart slot must be annoying.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

Nielk1

Post by Nielk1 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:00 pm

You truly deserve that avatar :D

Your making more! It seems like you have found something rather profitable that you may be able to standardize the parts for! I rmember the first ime I brought a modified camera flash ina toy gun to a boyscout meeting. All the offers of about $20 :roll:

Actuly, I have to finish one for tommarrow's meeting, see if anyone actuly brings $20.

I am realy beginning to get into electronics, so I think this is the place for me.

I still have to buy those tacts...

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:53 pm

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:43 pm

Yay G-force!

This looks like such a good, idea, I may make one (minus the cart slot!)
Hey, sup?

sdh

Post by sdh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:50 am

Helloo people, I'm new here! :D
I just had to register after I had read about the NES mini, it's amazing!

I thought maybe someone has the time to help me out with 3 questions?

1. I was wondering if it's possible to build the same NES controller console minus the catridge and with a sd cardslot for homebrew instead? (as someone mentioned earlier)

2. I have a hard time finding a Power Play Super Joy 3 anywhere. Especially here in Sweden where I live and I've also googled a lot and ebay doesn't seem to have it either. Where is the best place for me to get one?

3. Is either one of these a good project for me who have never done a console mod before but is eager to learn?

Very thankful for all the help I can get from this great community.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:54 am

sdh wrote:Helloo people, I'm new here! :D
I just had to register after I had read about the NES mini, it's amazing!

I thought maybe someone has the time to help me out with 3 questions?

1. I was wondering if it's possible to build the same NES controller console minus the catridge and with a sd cardslot for homebrew instead? (as someone mentioned earlier)

2. I have a hard time finding a Power Play Super Joy 3 anywhere. Especially here in Sweden where I live and I've also googled a lot and ebay doesn't seem to have it either. Where is the best place for me to get one?

3. Is either one of these a good project for me who have never done a console mod before but is eager to learn?

Very thankful for all the help I can get from this great community.
1. Not a chance
2. Order from powerplayerusa.com when the site goes back up.
3. Either one of what? You only listed one project. If you want to learn, mod one of your old existing consoles.(EX: Leds, fan, painted case.)

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sdh

Post by sdh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:28 am

ShockSlayer wrote:1. Not a chance
Alright, for what reason?
ShockSlayer wrote:2. Order from powerplayerusa.com when the site goes back up.
Thanks, shall take a look later!
ShockSlayer wrote:3. Either one of what? You only listed one project. If you want to learn, mod one of your old existing consoles.(EX: Leds, fan, painted case.)
With 2 I meant one like the Nes mini and the other with the sd slot instead.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:34 am

SD cards wont likely interface with a nes, and even less likely a nes clone.

It would be too hard for a beginning modder.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sdh

Post by sdh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:09 am

okay, just had to ask since I guess it has a small flash memory and maybe it was possible to swap it with a sd card if the content is structured the same way. But, as a noob, I'm only gessing so I understand if I'm totally wrong :P
ShockSlayer wrote:If you want to learn, mod one of your old existing consoles.(EX: Leds, fan, painted case.)
Well, I've actually replaced leds before, but that's about it. Didn't see that as such a great achievement. I think I need something a bit harder. Any suggestions?
But the Nes mini then, with no further modification, that seems easier than creating a portable Nes like seen here in the forums. Maybe that's worth a go?