3d printed cases (N64 specifically)

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

ryguy425425
PSN Username:ryguy425425
360 GamerTag:Lupus Timor
Steam ID:ryguy425425
3d printed cases (N64 specifically)

Post by ryguy425425 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 pm

I haven't been active in a few years (On the forum, or with portablizing), and coming back I was surprised to see the lack of 3D printed cases! I've got a Printrbot in the mail, and I figured as my first big project (After expanding the build area, and adding modifications to allow ABS printing), I'd finally build a proper case for a portable n64 I put together about 3 years ago.

Attached is a very rough draft of the front half of the case. I threw this together quickly more to familiarize myself with the modelling software then anything else. It lacks power and headphone ports, as I don't remember where they sat with my hardware. It is a bit thick, and a bit unconventional in design, primarily due to the LCD hardware (A gutted DVD player). I tried to thin it out as much as I could, but it uses two relatively huge PCBs to process the signal. This does't really bother me though, as I probably won't actually clock too many hours playing the completed portable. The overall design will probably stay the same, but I am open to suggestions to changes that might make it more economical.

Let me know what you think! And if anyone has links to build threads of any other portables that use 3d printed cases (regardless of the system), I'm always looking for inspiration! (An initial search didn't reveal too much).

I plan on posting the STL files after I take a few more measurements and adjust some things, for all to modify and enjoy.

http://tinypic.com/r/332yse9/8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tinypic.com/r/35meb1u/8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(the board attachment quota has been reached)

edit: Another thought: Has anyone taken a 3D scan of a Laserdoodle (Or something similar). That may be another thing I look into.