Casting Molds for Portable Cases

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

coolguyashley
Casting Molds for Portable Cases

Post by coolguyashley » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:47 pm

I noticed that Ben is using molds to make his Phoenix portable cases. Does anyone know of a "complete" tutorial on how to make a mold and what type of resins to use when casting and all that stuff?
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Resin casting or molding is a waste if you only want one or two cases. Ben finds it better because he has a goal for 100 Pheonii (plural?)

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:32 pm

I thought of making a fiberglass-casted case.
It does have som advantages over a plastic case like Ben uses.

1) It's (I think) stronger for its weight
2) It won't look so box-ey
3) It COULD potentially be the minimal size (If you just make an impression of your system in styrofoam and cast that, although the mold would be a bit small...

I'll defiantely post how my entire proejct went when I'm done, so just check the forums in a week or 2 and you'll see how it turned out for an ub3r n00b3r.

If I can do it...anyone can!