1HP Dremel! (DIY Table Router)

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

nubie
1HP Dremel! (DIY Table Router)

Post by nubie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Just Kidding, don't do this! (although I was thinking of adding a lightbulb in series to drop the voltage and RPM's for handheld use)

DIY Router Table:

Under the table:

Since there are 4 screws to mount the handle to the router plate I am going to use them to mount it upside-down to the table.

I don't remember where I got this old router, some yard sale or second-hand shop, but I think it will be a better value than a Dremel even new, they cost about the same, but the router has more power and better bearings.

You will need a drill, or I suppose you could use the router to cut the holes too :) I used a hole saw on my 3/8" drill for the middle hole.

This was an old desk we had around, you could use a piece of MDF or plywood and set it on an expanding kitchen table instead of the extra leaf, that way it wouldn't be as permanent. By loosening the wing nut on the handle frame I will probably be able to remove or lower the router to keep using the table!

This way I can cut or shape the holes in my Polycase (thanks polycase for the sample!), for the screen, some Nintendo VirtualBoy buttons and a Dpad (the Dpad looks like regular NES compatible, so I will have a choice of Dpad styles.)

nubie

Re: 1HP Dremel! (DIY Table Router)

Post by nubie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Mounted to the table with only 2 screws because the handles were in the way:

Results:

Great! It does manage to melt the plastic onto the bit, a combination of the bit style and the speed. It cuts like a hot knife through butter, I would love to slow it down actually.