Almost complete...PC PROJECT

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

kade

Post by kade » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:18 am

thats cool but big.

xriverfalconx

Post by xriverfalconx » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:28 pm

But it's fun as well.

Screen is finally taken care of...now its time to get this case mod complete!!! Finally going to have a project finished from beginning to end!!! WAHOO!!!
<a href="http://www.gmrealm.us">http://www.gmrealm.us</a>

-PC Modification Project- (special thanks to Foxx373) - Complete-

-WIP- mT16P (Portable Turbo Grafx 16)

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:36 pm

im working on a luggable computer, very similar to ben's.
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

xriverfalconx

Post by xriverfalconx » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:46 pm

madc0w wrote:im working on a luggable computer, very similar to ben's.
I never saw ben's but give me an idea of how yours will look and what'll be on it. :)

Foxx373

Post by Foxx373 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:13 pm

What i mean about the VCR thing is to remove the control pannel of a VCR and rig it into one (or two) of the floppy bays so you can have media controls n the faceplate. And if you want to go the extra mile, you can try to add in a serial based IR controller so you can use the faceplate media buttons, or any IR remote control (with the right software).

Basically what you are doing is taking the faceplate cotnrols froma VCR, maybe a stereo will work as well. Instead of having to completely build a faceplate with good looking buttons from scratch, you are scraping them from something else and ghetto-rig them into a simple interface circuit that leads into a printer or serial port. The interface is easy to build, and i mean EASY!! But which one to make depends on the software you use.

Check this out:

http://diba.hotbox.ru/comctrl/

You will be making this, but as a faceplate for the computer. It can control more than just winamp. Take a look at the features, and the submitted pictures.

EDIT: I firgot to mention... the IR reciever im talking about also doesnt control just winamp. Ive use it myself to move windows, type IMs, chat on IRC, open and close programs, move the mouse ect. Anything you can do from the computer u can assign to the IR recioever software.
www.bsodtv.org - Hacking is NOT a crime!

xriverfalconx

Post by xriverfalconx » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:18 am

I gotcha. I'm at work right now and restrictions won't allow me to look at that site at this time, but I'll look at it when I get home...get some good ideas on whatelse I can to to this case. =) Thank you very much sir!

kade

Post by kade » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:08 am

xriverfalconx wrote:
madc0w wrote:im working on a luggable computer, very similar to ben's.
I never saw ben's but give me an idea of how yours will look and what'll be on it. :)
never saw it ethier

Foxx373

Post by Foxx373 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:44 am

Im a big emulation fan. Not cause stealing games is fun, but because when i have kids and they get to be a little older, i can show them the games from my era. To get that old school feeling, i hooked my original controllers into my PC with a simple parallel port interface. That would be a nice touch... and its just as simple as some diodes and a connector (and drivers). Name a console, ive got the drivers and schematics to hook it up. Even Playstation and Xbox. Honestly, the easiest one to do is xbox, since xbox is standard USB 1.0. You just need to make an adapter. If you decide to make the controller interface, let me know, i can give you tips on how to build it, make it look nice, and still be useable on the original consoles.

You could attempt to have some built in speakers, or maybe some headphone jacks. You can use the amp from the screen to drive them. Hell, you just might be able to use the speakers from it! I know there are some decent mini speakers for laptops that u could use...

So far you have a built in screen, some meda / function controls, IR remote, REAL Console controllers for the "real-feel" emulation, and onboard speakers / headphones... Everything from there is just software stuffs...

EDIT: I have some high hopes here. Please dont make this look like crap... PLEASE!! If you need tips on how to make all of this look good with minimal work, drop me a PM and ill give you some friendly advice.

madc0w

Post by madc0w » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:47 pm

Can you give me the Schematics and drivers for NES and dreamcast?
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

xriverfalconx

Post by xriverfalconx » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:13 pm

I was gonna ask for the nes controller as well as other controllers too. Here is a list I would like to have of controllers:::

NES
SNES
GENESIS
N64

That's all I need for now =) I have a good idea for storing them on the case...this is definitely going to be fun!!! Thank you very much good sir!!!

EDIT::: I finally looked at the site above you mentioned...that's hot! I really like that a lot and I definitely have to put that in my system. It'll be used for winamp on the little monitor and I'll have another one on the side for other things (not sure what yet). Thanks!!! =D
Last edited by xriverfalconx on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:14 pm

just search google for "<insert console name> controller parallel port".

madc0w

Post by madc0w » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:20 pm

i will!
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

Foxx373

Post by Foxx373 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:26 pm

Search for SNESPad, NTPad, and Direct Pad Pro. Sorry, but there is no easy to make DC interface... The only one i have needs a microcontroller to be programed, somthing not worth doing if yoy just wants this one controller.

Each Winamp Remote you make needs a serial port. You cant attach multiple remotes to one serial port. You can however have one 16 button remote with 3 different button states (pushed, held, and "turbo") plus a shift button. That should be more buttons than you need...

Also, put some caster wheels on this sucker, so it can be rolled arround. And maybe wireless and wired network. If you are gonna do the wi-fi thing, i would suggest PM-ing me about how to make some good lookin,kick-ass gain antennae.

If you are gonna do the wi-fi thing, i can show u how to sniff out stray wi-fi (with one of my kick ass antennas that is...). Hunting and hacking wifi is some fun crap!!
Last edited by Foxx373 on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madc0w

Post by madc0w » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:30 pm

seems that i just need to attach some diodes, now i just need to get some :(
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

Foxx373

Post by Foxx373 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:39 pm

go to radio shack and get some regular small switching diodes. 1n4148 or 1n914 will do ust fine. They have a 20 pack for pretty cheap (or is it a 40 pak).