Case Construct technique Thread

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:24 am

ok theres a eazy way to get good cases. just take some plastic sheat and cut a form of a front case and a back case. together is has no depth but add a wood spacer and you can hold a ps2 a snes , n64 any thing! and think about how cool you could make it look its so simple to do that part on a ban saw!

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:56 am

actually, that's not a bad idea :)...
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:57 pm

External Computer ERROR
please replace User
C64p Pal:
I've build some connectors for disk and keyboard, the screen has been taken apart and the case has been modded a bit

fatman
Steam ID:carlylebrooks

Post by fatman » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:07 am

here are a couple links for good sources for fiberglass mat, carbon fiber, resins, silicone molding rubber, and all kinds of other stuff. the first place i buy from all the time, they have pretty good prices. the second place, i have never bought anything from and their prices are a good bit higher than the first place, but they have a really good forum about working with composite materials.

www.uscomposites.com
www.fiberglast.com

im using some carbon kevlar for my case just because i have some scraps laying around. yes its overkill, but when its done i could probaly throw it at a wall and not hurt it any

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:19 am

it is my intention to make a case out of fiberglass at some point, i might use my snesP molds to do it too, i know about working with fiberglass and have some of the stuff i need (resin, fiberglass) so, would anyone be interested in a fiberglass snesp case if i make one?

and by the way THIS IS MY 1100TH POST!!!!!!!!!!WO GO ME! :D

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:08 pm

make a case out of fiberglass at some point
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I have not had very good results with fiberglass myself (that was years ago, so I might try again). You need a really good sander (not something you can do by hand), and you definitely need some open area to work in (fiberglass is harmful to you in many ways). Carbon fiber would be an awesome alternative (light, looks cool) if the process wasn't so delicate. That stuff frays like crazy.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:28 pm

atkafighter wrote:That stuff frays like crazy.
hence the name "fiber" glass :P
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

fatman
Steam ID:carlylebrooks

Post by fatman » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:05 am

atkafighter wrote:
make a case out of fiberglass at some point
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I have not had very good results with fiberglass myself (that was years ago, so I might try again). You need a really good sander (not something you can do by hand), and you definitely need some open area to work in (fiberglass is harmful to you in many ways). Carbon fiber would be an awesome alternative (light, looks cool) if the process wasn't so delicate. That stuff frays like crazy.
i personally prefer to block sand everything by hand when im working with fiberglass or carbon. and when working with carbon you want to cut everything bigger than you need so you can cut off any of the parts that have frayed. also, once you "wet out" the carbon the strands wont move around as much and it makes it much easier to work with. another thing that makes working with carbon easier, is to vacume bag all of your parts. this helps to keep pits out of your finish. there is lots of info about vacume bagging and working with carbon in the second link i posted earlier.

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:46 pm

Here's some basic info on DIY carbon fiber:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carbon-f ... cle-parts/

I haven't tried it yet (lots of experience with fiberglasss though) but it would add some "bling" to a portable.
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:07 pm

yeAH boieee, mah snesPs got a carbon fiber hood dawg! i be blingin it up in tha hizouse! biatch! :lol: :lol: lol

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:35 pm

Portables ridin' spinnaz

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:41 pm

Yo, Yo, Yo, what is up, I am the blue Halo Clock. WORD!
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

electromaster64

Post by electromaster64 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:25 pm

So I was looking around at http://www.hammondmfg.com to see what kind of new enclosures they had and I found this http://www.hammondmfg.com/R250.htm. The two piece one splits in half and would be easy to cut/drill with tools. Because it is aluminum you could just drill most of the holes and wouldn't have to worry about the bits cracking the case (big bits + plastic = bad). And the round section is a battery compartment. Hope you can think of something cool to do with it.
ImageImage

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:51 pm

woah, that has some serious potential for smaller portables like goacs and noacs, thats really an awesome find! doesnt seem to list a price, if it was cheap i would get one

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:02 pm

Theres a link at the bottom to lists of distributers.