Making a proper hole for screen

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Gravythis28
Making a proper hole for screen

Post by Gravythis28 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:06 pm

What's up everyone? I'm new to the forums and need help making a proper hole for a PSX screen in my case.
I have an 8 to 35k Dremel and have been trying to trace the screen hole from the original case onto a sheet of acrylic, everything works fine
for the most part, I use one of my tungsten carbide cutters to make an incision and then sand down to the outline, however I cant seem to get the edges of the square that I am cutting out to be straight, nor can I get the corners to form nice right angles. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips?

I was contemplating using a disk cutter to try and cut straight edges from the get go and then maybe use some files to straighten everything out but I am worried that my disk cutters may accidentally gum up the plastic from the heat. I haven't tried the diamond wheel bit, but seeing as it is $15 i was hoping that someone has a better suggestion.

Ashen

Re: Making a proper hole for screen

Post by Ashen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Just cut out the rough area and hand file it man. You'll never get a nice cut with a dremel bit finishing wise, unless of course you have the steadiest hands in the world.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage