Cutting Plastic properly?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

circahasfallen
360 GamerTag:burnout1511
Cutting Plastic properly?

Post by circahasfallen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Hey All!
I am new to case modding and am not sure what to use to cut a 1/4" hole for a 15 position d-sub connector in a GBA.
What I am doing is trying to make room for the controller input that I'm just about finished up making. My main problem is that
I don't have a dremel...as I've heard they are good for cutting plastic. Would a Xacto-Knife suffice? Should I go the heated kitchen knife route or will that look bad? Any help would be appreciated! :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

Bush

Re: Cutting Plastic properly?

Post by Bush » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:30 pm

You can use a drill to make holes within the area you want cut, and sand the edges out. Or, you can use a small bit and cut with it.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:19 pm

When drilling thin plastic, remember to keep the bit spinning fast and drill against a piece of scrap wood like a chunk of 2x4. (Drilling a pilot hole with a smaller bit helps too.) If your drill bit is turning too slowly, it will bite the plastic and rip jagged chunks out. The idea is to scrape the hole out with light pressure and fast bit speed, not carve through it like wood.

If you need a square hole, draw it out on the plastic, then drill the bulk of the unwanted material out with a bunch of holes like this:

[OOOOO]

Then you can square the corners out with your knife.

When using a non-serrated knife to cut plastic, treat it as though it has teeth and saw up and down a bit. Just pushing harder to slice through material only leads to blood loss.

circahasfallen

Post by circahasfallen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Thanks guys I'll try the drill. I'm sure I have one laying around here somewhere
:mrgreen: Oh and the detail will really help thanks again!

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:26 pm

I made a subminiature connector template earlier.

docs.google.com2011.04.05.pdf.

Print it (with no scaling) and then tape the part of the template you want to use to your piece.

I used a 3/32 for the corners when I drilled mine out, and used my fancy work knife to cut the faces out (accidentally), though I was originally planning on spending half an hour poking at it with a saw blade.

circahasfallen

Post by circahasfallen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Snow_Cat wrote:I made a subminiature connector template earlier.

docs.google.com2011.04.05.pdf.

Print it (with no scaling) and then tape the part of the template you want to use to your piece.

I used a 3/32 for the corners when I drilled mine out, and used my fancy work knife to cut the faces out (accidentally), though I was originally planning on spending half an hour poking at it with a saw blade.
Thanks for the templates, but my 15 position d-sub is 3 rows. So basically the standard VGA input/output :D but thanks for the help! I think I'll just buy a dremel... :mrgreen:

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Oops;
Well it uses the same shell as the DA9.

Also, I've been told that spraying the plastic with soapy water helps with the plastic melting to those blades. Haven't tried it myself though.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Snow_Cat wrote:Oops;
Well it uses the same shell as the DA9.

Also, I've been told that spraying the plastic with soapy water helps with the plastic melting to those blades. Haven't tried it myself though.
I will have to give that a try! I've ruined many a Dremel bit with a melted plastic wad on the tip of the bit.And those bits are expensive...
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

circahasfallen

Post by circahasfallen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:55 pm

So I ended up buying a cordless Dremel from Lowe's and, while the battery lasts only about a constant 30 minutes, the overall performance of it is great! Just what I needed. I have a drill but I was just worried I would mess that up really badly... :D but I am almost done with my NES controller to GBA mod thanks to the dremel 8)