Case advice

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Allanss
PSN Username:allanrss
Case advice

Post by Allanss » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:52 pm

I was looking into making a portable, mainly the ps2. unfortunately reality dawned on me saying, "The only thing youve ever done with a ps2 is take apart\break a controller and fix a disk read error. i figured id start with the cheap nes. But, i have no experience at all with doing things like this. i do have a cnc machine to use, but i have no idea how it works. would hand crafted be easier for a beginner? i have minor knowledge with cad if it is helpful. Should i use a premade shell off of a kids toy like the knight raizer, or would it be to difficult to fit things in it, easier to just build the case around the electronics. i also think it would be very cool to make\design my own case. i am not at liberty to spend $100 on a premade case as well. what should i make it out of? how much should i intend to buy?

Thanks,
Allan Stott
Last edited by Allanss on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allanss

resin casting?

Post by Allanss » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:11 pm

i have resin casted and wanted to know if that would be effective? its pretty easy, and no need for frankencasing

Allanss

How bout this?

Post by Allanss » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:57 pm

i found a case i think would be pretty good to franken case.
anyone have any thoughts?

Chezwik
PSN Username:Itsumofataride
360 GamerTag:Chezwik74

Re: Case advice

Post by Chezwik » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:53 pm

It depends on the size that you want to cut down your nes to and how big the case is in the first place. I honestly have been looking around and for my first case i am using a vacuum formed case, and after some decent research it seems like it is easy enough to make. plus you can make it your exact specifications.
He who does things in wrong order
If i can't RROD my Xbox once a week, I'm doing it wrong

Current Projects -
Cheztendo64 - In design Phase

Spoiler:
BOO

Allanss

Post by Allanss » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:39 pm

that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking that i could mold it out of clay, bake it, and then mold it. I have all the materials for that, but just need to know if something like resin would be desirable

Chezwik
PSN Username:Itsumofataride
360 GamerTag:Chezwik74

Post by Chezwik » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm

It seems like it would really work :D I would definitely try it and post it on here. If it works, you should try and post some sort of tutorial for those of us who don't know how to do it. I would search the site before hand though.
He who does things in wrong order
If i can't RROD my Xbox once a week, I'm doing it wrong

Current Projects -
Cheztendo64 - In design Phase

Spoiler:
BOO