Using Adobe Illustrator to make cases

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Helpless Puppy
Using Adobe Illustrator to make cases

Post by Helpless Puppy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi everyone. I currently have been using AI to create cases and am wondering if I can just send my AI files to a CNC machinery place and they will cut it the correct sizes like I wanted.

Thanks

reincarnatorfly

Re: Using Adobe Illustrator to make cases

Post by reincarnatorfly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:08 pm

i would use inkscape http://inkscape.org/

Life of Brian

Re: Using Adobe Illustrator to make cases

Post by Life of Brian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:25 am

Yes, you can. I have used both Pololu and Ponoko (check out their websites!) and Illustrator is all you need to submit your design for a quote. With Pololu you can send an .ai, .pdf, or .svg if you want. With Ponoko, you have to send either a .eps file (which Illustrator can save as) or .svg.

Pololu (who offers CNC laser cutting) is fantastic in that they can go all the way from walking you through it step by step if you want or simply taking your file and making it. You interact with real people and they are super helpful with lots of documentation on their site. I recommend reading EVERYTHING they have on their site about CNC laser cutting - it's quite educational. They go the extra mile in everything they do and are totally worth using.

Ponoko (another CNC laser cutting company) is fantastic because they offer instant online quotes for their services. However, your file has to be drawn *just so* in order for whatever program they are using to give you that instant quote. Also, their materials are kind of goofy sizes. However, they are a large company that is growing bigger by the day and they send all kinds of coupons in emails. I just ordered a design a couple of days ago at half price on materials AND shipping! That saved me eighty bucks!

I recently ordered from both companies and am waiting my orders to come in the mail - I'll be posting about those soon so you can see what's possible :D
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!