plexy glass case?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

ishowernaked
plexy glass case?

Post by ishowernaked » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:26 pm

http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-make-a- ... g-console/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saw this case and i was wondering... would it be worth it to make this case at home, instead of buying a pre-made one? my dad works in a factory and i can get all the plexy glass i want. another question, i want to keep the case clear, so how could i fasten the sides together without colored epoxy or abs cement? are there any relatively clear glues, or other methods of connecting?
Last edited by ishowernaked on Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metalcookie

Re: plexy glass case

Post by metalcookie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:09 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... me-System/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the guide on how to make that whole portable, step by step.

To answer your question at hand, it all depends on how you like it. Personally, I think older consoles that don't have triggers should be in a more box like case. It just feels more like the original to me.
Citizen Kane

ishowernaked

Re: plexy glass case

Post by ishowernaked » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 am

yeah, probably jumped the gun on asking that question about how to close up the case.

i really like the clear look, so i think i will go with this case. my next question is, how would i add shoulder buttons to this? i know i can use tact switches, but i've seen some round buttons that some people use as shoulder buttons that aren't normal tact switches, but i can't find any myself. help please?

ishowernaked

Re: plexy glass case?

Post by ishowernaked » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 pm

Tried it, and it's not working for me. the guy in the instructable got his sheet cut professionally, unless you are going to do the same, i do NOT recommend trying this. i went through a bunch of plexy glass and i couldn't get perfectly straight lines with the scouring method. another problem was finding good fastener to keep it shut that is both clear and strong. you can try it, but i don't recommend it.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:23 pm

What do you mean by "scouring method"? I would mark the lines, cut it with a saw or dremel just outside of the lines, and file/sand to the line.
In that instructable, he uses acrylic glue. Looks like it dries clear, and I think it is used for making fishtanks, so it has to be strong.

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 pm

the scouring method: you just draw your line, then scour on it with a craft knife. once you've cut deep enough it should just snap on the line. (i don't have a dremel). i couldn't find any acrylic glue so i settled for some cheap brand epoxy stuff. it was terrible on plexy glass. buying the plexy glass, cutting it, adding your components, and getting a strong case is too much work considering these acrylic sheets sell for about as much as a case from polycase. i feel that it's not worth the work or the money.

i'm not saying it can not or should not be done, i just don't think it's worth all of the effort.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Sounds like your biggest problem is not having the right tools and materials. Of course you'll have a hard time with it. Polycase's cases won't work for everyone. And you still have to cut holes in them and probably do some bondo work. So in the end it just comes down to what you want from a case.

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:09 pm

vskid wrote:Sounds like your biggest problem is not having the right tools and materials. Of course you'll have a hard time with it. Polycase's cases won't work for everyone. And you still have to cut holes in them and probably do some bondo work. So in the end it just comes down to what you want from a case.

i think that's the majority of the problem. i think i realized that while i was rubbing my case on the sidewalk because i don't have files. :lol:

DasXero
PSN Username:DasXero

Post by DasXero » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:25 am

ishowernaked wrote:
vskid wrote:Sounds like your biggest problem is not having the right tools and materials. Of course you'll have a hard time with it. Polycase's cases won't work for everyone. And you still have to cut holes in them and probably do some bondo work. So in the end it just comes down to what you want from a case.

i think that's the majority of the problem. i think i realized that while i was rubbing my case on the sidewalk because i don't have files. :lol:
ROFL!!! I was working like that about a week ago, but since than i got a whole new load of tools, i just need a dremel and a mutlimeter :3
"If Ben Heck can do it, I sure as hell can't"
~DasXero
~-~-~~Beginner Modder~~-~-~
Projects:
<----Xero64---->
Progress:
---->STARTING OVER 100%!

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:39 pm

update: got some files so i'm not so jank.

I've abandoned this idea. i'm using a hacked up dvd player case. It's covered with a bunch of writing on the bootom. they aren't raised letters, the tops of them are flush with the bottom of the case. How do i smooth the bottom of the case out?

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:44 pm

That's my Instructable. :wink:

I did have the pieces cut professionally, but all they did was cut the plexiglass with a scroll saw or something similar. If you don't have one, I would recommend drawing a line with a ruler, cutting it just outside that line with a dremel, and then filing it down to the line. That's what I did with my Sprocket64.

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:01 pm

thanx for the reply mario. i got some tools (a scroll saw) so i will try this again. what kind of silicone did u use?

Mario

Post by Mario » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:16 pm

I just went to the hardware store and found some kind of "dries clear" acrylic adhesive. It's really strong.

ishowernaked

Post by ishowernaked » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:24 pm

ok. thanks a bunch.