molded epoxy resin

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

luddite
molded epoxy resin

Post by luddite » Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm

A quick search through the forums didn't seem to yield a particular answer, but has anyone here tried molding epoxy resin for a case? If not, was it for cost, structural or other reasons?

It seems to me that this route would require the least amount of space and be less likely to anger your fellow housemates (you know, wife etc :wink: )

~!Matt

metalcookie

Re: molded epoxy resin

Post by metalcookie » Mon May 24, 2010 8:36 pm

It all depends on the epoxy being used. Some, if not most, epoxy generates some form of heat. I doubt this method would produce a structurally sound case. If you do decide to take this route, be sure you know how much heat it's going to create. Epoxy hardens due to exothermic chemical reactions, so large amounts of curing epoxy = large amounts of heat.
Citizen Kane

luddite

Post by luddite » Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 pm

Is that a problem post molding? Seems like a, I dunno, 12x9x1 inch (roughly) case wouldn't be a fire hazard *shrug*

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Mon May 24, 2010 8:54 pm

I'm not saying it's a fire hazard, I'm just saying it might get hot. I just don't see this as a viable case option though. I think you should start out making a case from sheet plastic or ordering one from polycase.
Citizen Kane

luddite

Post by luddite » Tue May 25, 2010 10:36 pm

I'm missing something I think. So I get that it's exothermic and develops heat as it is curing. I was under the impression this ended post curing (16 hours or whatever). Does it continue to produce heat even after that or resume churning out heat under certain circumstances that pop up later?

I don't see molding this on top of the components it is meant to house...that would be, well messy and stupid. Seems like a mold is made, separate of the electronic guts, and the resin cured in that. Now if cured resin isn't strong enough to handle the dings and scrapes of a portable then that's different. I just don't get your heat argument 8)

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Wed May 26, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm not saying it's a problem post molding, I'm just saying be careful if you do decide to mold epoxy resin while it's curing.
Citizen Kane