Fimo-clay

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

b_w_johan
Fimo-clay

Post by b_w_johan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 am

So i have the screen, and the big NES board(wich should be replaced with a NOAC if i can find some PAL noac) then i thought lets use wood for casing.

But then a moment of inspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fimo-Clay, this stuff sounds ideal doesn't it?
I've got tons of it, my old hobby used to be build crazy little puppets XD

It stays plastic like untill you've put it in the oven...

Anyone ever tried this before?

if someone thinks its a bad idea, please tell me before i use that last of my stock(well its not that expensive but not cheap either ;))

SNESthebest
PSN Username:Hippoman789

Re: Fimo-clay

Post by SNESthebest » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:44 pm

SO basically you can mold it like playdough, then heat it in an oven and its a case?!

Where can I get some?!
Image How do we know that the Insane are really insane? What i mean is that the Sane could just be controlled little minds never knowing the truth, when the Insane always know the truth and why. Krauftrolled

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:16 am

SNESthebest wrote:SO basically you can mold it like playdough, then heat it in an oven and its a case?!
Well, thats what i hope it would do haha.
tried to see if anyone else ever thought about this, but if not i'll be the first to test and let you guys know if its a good idea or not:)
SNESthebest wrote:Where can I get some?!
Not sure where you live, but here in The Netherlands, we have those small shops wich sell stuff like, paper, clay, pieces of foam in diff shapes, knitting wool, revel? modelling packages(those airplanes), painting materials and all kinds of crea stuff XD

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 am

Well here is a random link. http://www.reuels.com/reuels/fimo_polymer_clay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just called my local hobby lobby and they carry it. Check and see if there is a store near you at hobbylobby.com They have a bunch of stores nation wide.

edit: You might have to look under polymer clay instead of fimo

SNESthebest
PSN Username:Hippoman789

Post by SNESthebest » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 pm

I'll have to check. Thanks.
Image How do we know that the Insane are really insane? What i mean is that the Sane could just be controlled little minds never knowing the truth, when the Insane always know the truth and why. Krauftrolled

Squidlekins

Post by Squidlekins » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:40 pm

I noticed them compare it to Sculpey clay. If it's anything like Sculpey then it won't work at all. It would be incredibly brittle.
If not then apparently everyone should get some FIMO.
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

DK

Post by DK » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:36 pm

FIMO would be useless, had some as a kid and it'd be much too brittle.

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:50 pm

not sure what brittle meens looking on wiki its talking about bursting/breaking under stress?
is that what it meens?

Because if thats what it meens, well i haven't seen my "action"-figures falling apart yet..
not sure if the stuff is proper for casing, but then again, if nowone actually tested it..
maybe differences in thickness makes differences in how much presure it can handle?

You know what, i'll make 2 small flat strips with different thickness and see if it breaks if i try to bend it a little.
any suggesions on how i could check how much pressure it can withstand?

-- edit

doing some more reading, found out the Sculpey stuff discussed above, also is available in different types, "premo sculpey" is stiff in thicker parts, and flexible in thinner parts.... (have no experience with sculpey though, just read this while googling)Image

For Fimo, i know it is available in (atleast)3 different types each with slightly different uses.

but i'll try to do a breakpoint test ... still need suggestions on howto do a "good test".