PS3 Slim in a SONY DVD/BD box ?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

sbocquet
PS3 Slim in a SONY DVD/BD box ?

Post by sbocquet » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:34 am

Hi all,

I'm new here and in case modding, but I was wondering if it would be very difficult to put the heart of a PS3 Slim in another box, a silver SONY DVP-xxx or BDP-xxx box for example.

I have a silver STR-DA2400ES A/V AMP from SONY (nice one ;) ) and plan to buy a PS3 Slim has a media player. But my wife don't like the design of the PS3 box. All the stuff is put near the TV in a "design way" ! She would like a "PS3 like a Blu-Ray Player" to match with the amp :roll: [I think that SONY should think of it, the market is here :lol: ]

So... do you you think it will be hard to put the PS3 in such a box ? Will there be enough space for the airflow in such a box? For you experts, what would you think will be the biggest problem ?
Does someone have the inside exact PS3 size ?

Thanks for your help... :wink:

sbocquet

Re: PS3 Slim in a SONY DVD/BD box ?

Post by sbocquet » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:54 am

Any advice or idea ?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:38 am

I'm not sure of the dimensions for the DVD and BD players you listed, but as long as they're at least as big as the PS3 slim, it shouldn't be too difficult. From the pictures I've seen of disassembled PS3 slims and comparing to the external dimensions, I would guess that you'll need 11x11x2.5". If the new case isn't as tall, you might be able to make it thinner. I wouldn't plan on making the width or length smaller.

sbocquet

Post by sbocquet » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks...

I'm going to search for the "perfect" box in the SONY catalog and try to find the best one for my project. It's not going tio be easy !!! Any idea is welcome !

BTW, I'm still wondering why SONY don't try to sell PS3 in a "hi-fi" style box... It not very difficult to do, and I think they can sell a lot a these. A market for the kids in their room, a market for "adults" in the living-room ! lol

perfectmf

Post by perfectmf » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:55 am

They did actually try this a few years ago with the PS2 in Japan. It doubled as a DVR as well, it was pretty expensive though. If I remember correctly they offered two different HDD sized units with the smaller one being about $1000. Unsurprisingly, it didn't sell too well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(DVR)

Edit: First: The PS3 is a great media player. You'll love it. Granted it doesn't play every format but it plays more and is easier to use than the 360 (not bashing, I love my 360, but when it comes to media I stick with my PS3). I replaced the original 60GB HDD and placed in a 500GB and moved over all my music as well as over 50 movies (From by personal collection of DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray [Convenient having HD movies on there]) as well as the entire Futarama series as well as seasons from other TV programs.

Second: I have to disagree with you on the PS3's style. At least when it comes to the original. When I used to work at a large electronics store and had to go out on deliveries and installs almost every client that had (or was getting) a home theater setup had a PS3. They really liked the way it looked within their setup. Many of them especially liked the chrome faceplate on the 60GB (not sure if the 20GB had it or not, this was all before the arrival of the 40GB and 80GB). But to each his own I suppose. Good luck on your search.
Last edited by perfectmf on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbocquet

Post by sbocquet » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:01 am

Very Interresting !

Apparently, the system became widely criticized thanks to a very high price !
I'm sure it can work at the same price of a PS3; or just a few more bucks.

sbocquet

Post by sbocquet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 am

Hi,

Did some research in the old Sony catalogs, and think that the DVP-NS9100 or SCD-XA1200 could fit. The problem is that it's rather difficult to find one in silver color, even a working or non working one :cry:

What do you think of this case to put au PS3 Slim in it ? If someone is solding one, let me know ;)

Have a nice day.

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:19 pm

I saw this thread and it had me thinking: Instead of taking an existing Sony box, gutting it out, and trying to fix a PS3 Slim in it, why not buy an HTPC case, put the PS3 in that, and add a Sony emblem to the front? You could easily get the emblem from an old DVD or even VCR and working with a computer case would be cheaper and you can dictate the color and design that you would want.

It wouldn't be hard to implement, especially with a PS3 Slim.

sbocquet

Post by sbocquet » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 am

Hi,

That's a good idea... The fact is that I was searching for a case which look like the same as my A/V case, a STR-DA2400ES. But If I can't find a SONY CD or DVD ES style box, I think I would go this mutch easier and cheaper way ;)

Thanks a lot for your answer.