Vacuum Forming question

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318
Vacuum Forming question

Post by brandonk318 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:48 pm

I am looking for a good heat source other than an oven.(If I mess up I don't want my house smelling like burned plastic) From what I read through the stickies i could use an electric grill but I can't find one anywhere...not at walmart, lowes, home depot... any help would be appreciated.

collinE

Re: Vacuum Forming question

Post by collinE » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 pm

do you have access to a garage at all? I would get a cheap used oven off craigslist and keept the garage door open while cooking plastic. Also, the electric ovens have those rings that get hot and you could build your own unit with them. or go to a thriftstore...
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:10 am

well, yeah i do have access to a garage but i have already check around for an electric oven on craigslist. sadly they want a large amount of money that has been used for over 15 years. No worries i am still looking. thanks for the reply

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:47 am

Back at my folks' place I did a lot of forming and heated up many sheets in the oven. You just need to sit there and watch the plastic as it droops, once it sags about an inch and a half below your frame, time to take it out.

Styrene doesn't smell bad until you start melting it.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:19 am

You could cover the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil. Then you can easily clean up if it melts too much. Would probably still stink for a couple days, but it wouldn't happen every time the oven was turned on.