CNC machine suggestions

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Helpless Puppy
CNC machine suggestions

Post by Helpless Puppy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm looking to buy a CNC machine, and it only has to be able to cut plastic and thin sheets of aluminum. So any suggestions appreciated

chainfire95

Re: CNC machine suggestions

Post by chainfire95 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:21 pm

here a cool link. CNC Machine
A truly wise man can entertain a thought without accepting it. A fool cannot withhold past judgments but instead closes his mine to new possibilities. Someone who wants to innovate simply needs to forget what everyone says isn't possible.

collinE

Post by collinE » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:39 pm

now that's proper hardcore. building your own is crazy. even if I could, I'd just buy one.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Building your own is very smart and MUCH cheaper. I planned to do one once, but never did it because I don't have the money.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Making one yourself is very limited. It can only do a certain amount of things with very limited x and y axis. Also, you have to directly program it instead of simply using vector drawings. Programs like MasterCAM do not work with it because it uses its own custom controllers. It functions more as a router, as the only metal it can cut through is aluminum, and not much of it.

Sure, it is cheaper, but if you will only use it a couple of times then it would be easier to get a custom job from somebody who has a CNC machine.

Hell, the only reason I have one is I am self employed, and my business type requires it. Otherwise there is really no reason to have one.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724