Portable Desktop PC

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

64M320N3
Re: Portable Desktop PC

Post by 64M320N3 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:23 pm

Well, you could use a fanless mini-itx board so it won't get too hot in there.
Or you could simply do a basic form of water cooling with the radiator attached to the case (would have to conductive, perhaps metal) to dissipate heat.

That's what I came up with. :P
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

kingIZZZY

Post by kingIZZZY » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:32 pm

:( Nobody seems too excited about my 2-in-1 solution about the LCD and cooling;

The LCD is permanently made part of the "cover" half of the case, with its necessary expandable cables already attached to the GPU and power connection, plus an unfoldable stand embedded inside. Now, upon deployment, I completely detach the LCD half from the rest of the case and set it up, leaving the whole rest of the case open for ventillation.

Is anything left unexplained about this?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:11 am

Ok, so no drawings (I figure I can express my idea without any).
Start with a water resistant case (such as the one you have). Instead of building the motherboard, PSU, drives, etc directly into the case, build a case for them out of plexiglass (or similar) that is removable from the carrying case. Something like this, build it as thin as the CPU heatsink+fan and the GPU, have holes cut for the CPU and GPU fans (maybe for PSU, too, depending on where the fan and vents are for it). Add a few fans on the sides to suck out the hot air. The layout would be similar to what you have drawn up, just move stuff around so it'll fit. Then just have a couple straps/handles to pull it up out of the carrying case for use, probably another strap to hold the plexi case in the carrying case during transit. Adds a bit more to the setup and take down, but your carrying case won't need to have any holes cut in the sides.
You might be able to just mount the screen on the lid of the case. The accessories could be piled on top of the plexi case, with some way to hold them down. For extra safety, I would have a plastic panel that goes over the screen, to protect it in case something comes loose while in transit.

kingIZZZY

Post by kingIZZZY » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:46 am

mmm me likey...
I've had the idea of an interior chassis in mind all along

kingIZZZY

Post by kingIZZZY » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:02 am

I'm off traveling again, back to NY this time on a stopover flight from Iowa and yes, you guessed it, i'll be bringing my (ugly) baby along for the ride :) wrapping each piece of HW separately so I can remove them one by one out of the case to pass 'em through security... what a pain

Thanks to y'all for your help sofar, I'll be back on the case as soon as I settle down after the trip. We had better solutionize this once and for all :)

cya

Casai

Post by Casai » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:28 pm

You're not alone, kingIZZZY! This is something I've been thinking about for months!

My project has similar requirements to yours: I don't care about size and weight, as long as it fits in a carryon (and it is going to be huge - I ordered a 24-inch LCD yesterday). It has to use standard desktop parts for replaceability and upgradability. I also want to reduce setup / takedown time as much as possible by leaving everything plugged in, using retractable cords, and space for all peripherals to dock into the main unit.

I'm curious, though, why you decided that the LCD has to be removed and put on its own stand. How about replacing the hinges with laptop-like hinges that hold their position (called friction hinges), and running the LCD in the lid of the open case? The drawbacks I can think of are 1) the monitor might not be at the correct eye level, and 2) having the computer on the table in front of you takes up a lot of desk space. However, I believe the ease of setup / takedown and the benefit of not having to carry around a separate monitor stand might be worth these drawbacks.

Second, if you absolutely don't want to put your computer in another case for travel, and it has to be waterproof, you might be interested in Ben Heck's Pelican Case Xbox 360 mod (http://benheck.com/12-24-2008/pelican-case-xbox-360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You'll definitely need a bigger case for a desktop computer, but it should be informative to see how he overcame the challenge of not being able to cut any external openings into the case.

Third, do you have any tips or sources for retractable cord reels? I think I'll need 3: power (I plan to join the monitor and power supply cords), keyboard, and mouse. And before anyone mentions wireless peripherals, I'm a hardcore gamer and definitely notice the latencies. Plus, I don't want to deal with batteries.

Finally, would you mind elaborating on that bit about taking out the hardware components for security?? I fly with my current microATX box and they've never made me do that!

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:49 pm

after thinking about this, and consulting some other guys, basically, what we decided, is either:

A) exactly what vskid suggested. build some sort of inner case, or even use a standard atx, or mid atx tower case, and strap it in.
B) build an atx chassis into the case, then, the case would be like a standard tower, so you could upgrade everything, and all that jazz.
C) just buy a laptop. :mrgreen:

and, IZZY, while having the whole top come off, would solve ventilation, it would be quite difficult to rework the hinges to function like that. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Well IZZY, I tihnk I'll let someone else take up this one.

kingIZZZY

Post by kingIZZZY » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:32 pm

NOOOOoooo!!!....

Please guys, don't get all pessimistic and forget about it. I really need this mod badly and yes I think its totally worth it to bother coming up with solutions for detachable LCD, HW replacability, rain-proof'ness, durability, etc etc etc. As I mentioned, i'll have no choice but to meet whatever the required budget demands.

Putting a plain ATX case into a bigger case is just as clumsy as what i'm doing now, only it will end up 4 times bigger in size. And while i dont care much about size/weight I do care about it looking like a real manufactured product (not a home-made hodge-podge) and that it should be as compact as possible in the realm of custom modding (so i want a custom chassis not your off-the-shelf ATX case).

@Casai: Right on dude! Are you going to mod your own solution or are you also looking for some pro here to do it? If I had the tools and know-how, i'd do this myself... And about the LCD yes I really need things to look like in my 3rd CAD image (1st post in this thread). I need the screen to be well positioned before my eyes, and that extra height/distance incurred if the LCD stays in the case like a laptop is very annoying.

Please guys, won't someone give this a shot? It should be fun, and you could patent it and make trillions XD

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Could you post a picture of your current solution? I want to see how much room there is to work with in the case you have.
You could have the LCD attach to the outside of the carrying case with some sort of clip. Then you'd open the case, completely empty it, close it, stand it up, and use it to hold the LCD.
kingIZZZY wrote:Please guys, won't someone give this a shot?
I may consider building your project.

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:23 pm

kingIZZZY wrote:Please guys, won't someone give this a shot?
I am willing to undertake this project, if you want me too. :wink: :mrgreen:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm

This project seems to need something...

... Oh, Right!
A CNC machine!

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Simple solution to waterproofing system, get a water proof case, then don't cut any holes for wires, vents and such in it. Simply route all connections to the top of the bottom section. Fairly easy to make it look like a commercial pro-audio DJ rig with a black main flat surface with the connectors embedded in it, or go a bit further and make it look make it look like a prop from James Bond films with some chrome detailing. Ventilation is a bit harder, but with some duct work, you could suck in cool air down one side , and vent it up and sideways on the other.

As for the LCD movement, they make mounts designed to go on a wall that'd get you very close to what you want, without having to actually separate it from the case. Fold the arm out and over when deploying, then fold back when done.

vskid

Post by vskid » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Just wondering if theres been any progress on this.

kingIZZZY

Post by kingIZZZY » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:33 pm

I'm currently communicating with one of the repliers here, trying to design and make something.

-Though, I'll go with the best/cheapest/fastest deal anyone can offer so if anyone wanna have a go at it please drop me a line.