3D printing cases

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

dfukuba
3D printing cases

Post by dfukuba » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Hey guys,

I've got a 3D printer at my office which we use for personal projects every now and then. I was thinking this would be an excellent resource for some case builders on these forums. It is a dimension uPrint, specs can be found here:
http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-pri ... print.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've attached a photo of some parts i just printed, the red one is printed with some nice coats of spray paint :")

I plan on using this machine a lot for my case building, and if it would be useful to some people out there, they can take advantage of it too.

normal places charge ~$50/ cubic inch of material (the lowest place i know of it $35/ cubic inch, and you have to be a member of their shop). We would charge $20/ cubic inch. Which does add up when your building something big, but there are a couple of tricks to cut costs.

So if any one is interested, please let me know and I'd be glad to help out. I would need a ".stl" file, which can be produced in just about any 3d Modeling software, including Google sketch up.

I'll post some pics of my cases once i get them going :")
--Danny

edit: sorry for the bad photo, just took it when i posted this with my phone. dont' have amazing lighting at my desk :") check out the dimension website and see how the parts actually look.
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (98.4KiB)Viewed 3115 times

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Re: 3D printing cases

Post by marshallh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:05 am

Very cool :) This would be excellent for smaller cases.

Is it precise enough to do small embossed text?