I'm going to make a Vacuum Former. Will this do?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

glassjoe92
PSN Username:CHNM_RaepTiem
Steam ID:GlassJoe92
I'm going to make a Vacuum Former. Will this do?

Post by glassjoe92 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi, I'm new to the portable community, and I'd like to get started as soon as I can! I figure the first thing I am going to need to do is get a case, and at that, one that I can redo as many times as desired until I get it right!

So I figured, why not build a vacuum former? So I think I am going to go through with my plans, it seems that the vacuum formed models always turn out beautiful. What I would like to know is, would something like this work?

http://www.halloweenfear.com/vacuumformintro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am planning on making something similar to this, maybe a bit more compact.

So, why are you reading this thread you ask? I have a few questions!

1) What kind of plastic can I use that is tough, sturdy, and easy for beginners to mold with.
2) Where can I purchase this plastic (ON A BUDGET!!)
3) How much of this plastic will I need?
4) I have 3 systems at my disposal, I need cases for them before I can even get started! ORIGINAL FULL SIZED PSX, ORIGINAL FULL SIZED SNES, and of course an average N64. I plan on making the N64 as my first portable. So what should the dimensions for this be? I haven't fully ripped it apart yet, and don't plan to until I can actually make a reasonable case for it.

When I ask for dimensions, I mean, what should the minimum L, W, and H be for the project enclosure?

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Shakespeare

Re: I'm going to make a Vacuum Former. Will this do?

Post by Shakespeare » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:41 am

1) What kind of plastic can I use that is tough, sturdy, and easy for beginners to mold with.

Polystyrene is the plastic of choice for many modders that vacuum form. It's rather cheap, too.

2) Where can I purchase this plastic (ON A BUDGET!!)

Click my link above.

3) How much of this plastic will I need?

You shouldn't need more than a couple square feet of the stuff, assuming you're making a portable. I'd buy a bit more, though, in case you mess up.

4) I have 3 systems at my disposal, I need cases for them before I can even get started! ORIGINAL FULL SIZED PSX, ORIGINAL FULL SIZED SNES, and of course an average N64. I plan on making the N64 as my first portable. So what should the dimensions for this be? I haven't fully ripped it apart yet, and don't plan to until I can actually make a reasonable case for it.

Don't make a case until you've got your portable's internal workings operational. Portable sizes vary depending on the skill of the maker, so you shouldn't rely on a rough guess on how big yours will be. Once you get the guts of the N64 working, THEN you can measure it and figure out how much plastic you'll need.

Seriously, though, unless you want to ruin your N64's motherboard, don't do a portable one as your first. Work on an SNES or NES and work your way up.
what is this i don't even

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Shakespeare wrote: Don't make a case until you've got your portable's internal workings operational. Portable sizes vary depending on the skill of the maker, so you shouldn't rely on a rough guess on how big yours will be. Once you get the guts of the N64 working, THEN you can measure it and figure out how much plastic you'll need.

Seriously, though, unless you want to ruin your N64's motherboard, don't do a portable one as your first. Work on an SNES or NES and work your way up.
Actually, it may be better to build a case first, then you have something to work toward instead of a jumble of parts. But AT LEAST MEASURE STUFF FIRST, not like me.

Eh, it's possible, but you'll probably fry one first.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:40 am

What everyone else said plus:

Is the original PlayStation (not PSX) a 9000 series? Look on the sticker on the bottom. If it is, the motherboard is pretty small, and you could probably make a decent portable out of it. Otherwise, it's kind of a monster.

Full-sized SNES is not worth the hassle. It's too big and power-hungry to make a decent portable.

Regular N64 is doable, but very easy to screw up as a first portable. You'd probably want 3-4 on hand as you methodically fry them.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Shakespeare wrote:Polystyrene[/url] is the plastic of choice for many modders that vacuum form. It's rather cheap, too.
Yes indeed. Polystyrene is also referred to as "Styrene" and in the UK it is called "Plasticard" (no idea why). I use this stuff.

DopestKidEva
PSN Username:dopestkideva

Post by DopestKidEva » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:58 pm

OMG I'm surprised no one said get the book yet! So get the book those are pretty easy and you probably will not go by every single thing it says.
jjhammerstein wrote:I'm going to hunt you down and rape you forever.

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 am

DopestKidEva wrote:OMG I'm surprised no one said get the book yet! So get the book those are pretty easy and you probably will not go by every single thing it says.
Probably for two reasons - 1) vacuum forming is not "in the book" and 2) "the book" is outdated and has a number of mistakes in it. Anyone want to buy my copy? (I don't use it anyway, just collecting dust).

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:10 am

eagle5953 wrote:What everyone else said plus:

Is the original PlayStation (not PSX) a 9000 series? Look on the sticker on the bottom. If it is, the motherboard is pretty small, and you could probably make a decent portable out of it. Otherwise, it's kind of a monster.
Aren't the 9000 series psx's the ones that have an amazing audio system in it? I'm pretty sure if you run a CD in it, and let it burn in for almost 1000 hours or something, you get extreme audiophile quality.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:53 pm

it could be but the main one I hear people talking about is scph 1000
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 pm

ghosstt wrote:
eagle5953 wrote:What everyone else said plus:

Aren't the 9000 series psx's the ones that have an amazing audio system in it? I'm pretty sure if you run a CD in it, and let it burn in for almost 1000 hours or something, you get extreme audiophile quality.
I thought that was the 1001, or 1000, or something.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Steamdnt
PSN Username:xboxlive_adm

Post by Steamdnt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:37 pm

bacteria wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:Polystyrene[/url] is the plastic of choice for many modders that vacuum form. It's rather cheap, too.
Yes indeed. Polystyrene is also referred to as "Styrene" and in the UK it is called "Plasticard" (no idea why). I use this stuff.
NOO, I bought poly-styrene and it did not work, It melted made a nasty smell and dissolved. Styrene however was much better, easier to use. There is a large difference, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for styrene and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polystyrene" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for polystyrene. There is a big difference. Plasticard is a brand.
- Formerly known as DNT 2.5
A wild Website link has appeared.