Rebuilding Atari 2600 back wall?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

ckrtech
Rebuilding Atari 2600 back wall?

Post by ckrtech » Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 am

Hey guys -

As you probably know, the case of the Atari VCS is fairly brittle. Mine was already in not too great of shape when I started drilling holes in it for a video mod. I lost a few chunks here and there, and a few pre-existing fractures extended themselves.

I aborted the drilling. I still need to enlarge one of the holes before finally placing the video connectors in there. There may be a few areas where I don't have chunks to glue back in. This being the case, I would have a few holes in the case that shouldn't be there.

I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion regarding how I might "fill" the wall, strengthen it, and finishing my drilling. It won't take much more abuse at all. I am going to have to use something to strengthen it.

Thanks guys,
CK
Last edited by ckrtech on Sat May 02, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Rebuilding Atari 2600 back wall?

Post by bicostp » Sat May 02, 2009 11:06 am

Use epoxy on the inside to help hold it together. Make sure you mix plenty up; small batches sometimes don't cure hard. Spread it all over the cracked parts, making an even coat that spreads well into the undamaged plastic to keep the cracks from spreading.

As for the outside, you can use whatever you want to fill the cracks in. (It will be a purely cosmetic repair, with the epoxy doing all the work.) Make sure you use something that won't shrink too much when it dries.

Mario

Post by Mario » Sat May 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Also make sure you're using drill bits made for plastic/metal, and not wood.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 am

Mario wrote:Also make sure you're using drill bits made for plastic/metal, and not wood.
Metal bits are THE worst things to use actually. They cut by "slicing" the metal. Doing this to rigid plastic can only lead to the bit grabbing the plastic and breaking it. Especially in holes larger then 3/8". The best bits to use are Forstner Bits and Spade Bits which are made for wood. Forstner Bits are the best as they don't "bite" the plastic in chunks but rather chip it away and grind it. Spades are pretty good but you have to go in perfectly straight of you will go end up catching the backside. Always use a wood backer such as a spare block of 2x4.

Harbor Freight has a small Forstner set for under $10 thats perfect for modding Ataris.

With Forstner Bits I can cut up to 1 1/4" of a hole (my largest one) through the Atari Jr plastic (the crappiest and most brittle).
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."