Paints...

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username:FullFreak
360 GamerTag:GoldenfrankO
Re: Paints...

Post by GoldenfrankO » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Does krylon have clear coats, or would I be better off going with a different brand.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:18 pm

I love Krylon. They have everything you could ever want.

http://www.krylon.com/products/tripleth ... ear_glaze/

Equivalent to three coats in just one.
Hey, sup?

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:51 pm

also you don't need krylon fusion for everything. If you uuse it you don't have a huige range of colours. You can use the cheapest spray paint and still have good results. IT just requires more work. You have to sand your surface down (make sure to clean the surface), I like to wetsand everything. Then spray a VERY light coat. You don't want a thick coat or else the waiting time is much longer and it just makes the job THAT much longer. When it's done drying, sand with a higher grit, and paint again. Do this untill the finish is as smooth as wanted, and any imperfections by now should be gone. IF you want a mirror finish keep repeating this untill you get to the 8000 grit. Then do some nice clear coats. Don't sand inbetween these. Done.

This is the method I found out with much trail and error and the internet. I'l post some of my works later on maybe (Right now are unfinished, damn lazyness)

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username:FullFreak
360 GamerTag:GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I love Krylon. They have everything you could ever want.

http://www.krylon.com/products/tripleth ... ear_glaze/

Equivalent to three coats in just one.
What type of paint should I get?

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:33 pm

When I looked a while back for that spray paint in the UK I couldn't get any anywhere. I use Plasti-Kote which is really good, the primer spray paint is regarded as a very good one. On my last project I applied a few thin coats of spray paint and about three coats of sealer varnish spray paint (same range). Good stuff.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:33 pm

Dark-Aries wrote:also you don't need krylon fusion for everything. If you uuse it you don't have a huige range of colours. You can use the cheapest spray paint and still have good results. IT just requires more work. You have to sand your surface down (make sure to clean the surface), I like to wetsand everything. Then spray a VERY light coat. You don't want a thick coat or else the waiting time is much longer and it just makes the job THAT much longer. When it's done drying, sand with a higher grit, and paint again. Do this untill the finish is as smooth as wanted, and any imperfections by now should be gone. IF you want a mirror finish keep repeating this untill you get to the 8000 grit. Then do some nice clear coats. Don't sand inbetween these. Done.

This is the method I found out with much trail and error and the internet. I'l post some of my works later on maybe (Right now are unfinished, damn lazyness)

But what kind of longevity do you get with the cheap s**t? I have a pair of sunglasses I did with Fusion four or five years ago, and they're as perfect as they were when I first painted them. I haven't been able to get that kind of longevity with anything else.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:24 am

Tibia wrote:
Dark-Aries wrote:also you don't need krylon fusion for everything. If you uuse it you don't have a huige range of colours. You can use the cheapest spray paint and still have good results. IT just requires more work. You have to sand your surface down (make sure to clean the surface), I like to wetsand everything. Then spray a VERY light coat. You don't want a thick coat or else the waiting time is much longer and it just makes the job THAT much longer. When it's done drying, sand with a higher grit, and paint again. Do this untill the finish is as smooth as wanted, and any imperfections by now should be gone. IF you want a mirror finish keep repeating this untill you get to the 8000 grit. Then do some nice clear coats. Don't sand inbetween these. Done.

But what kind of longevity do you get with the cheap s**t? I have a pair of sunglasses I did with Fusion four or five years ago, and they're as perfect as they were when I first painted them. I haven't been able to get that kind of longevity with anything else.
I would argue you really didn't paint them, you dyed them but I won't. And if you have a good clearcoat it WILL last. That's the whole point of using a clear coat.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Dark-Aries wrote:I would argue you really didn't paint them, you dyed them but I won't. And if you have a good clearcoat it WILL last. That's the whole point of using a clear coat.

Um, yeah. Because it's totally possible to dye black plastic to a bright red. :roll:

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:30 pm

Tibia wrote:
Dark-Aries wrote:I would argue you really didn't paint them, you dyed them but I won't. And if you have a good clearcoat it WILL last. That's the whole point of using a clear coat.

Um, yeah. Because it's totally possible to dye black plastic to a bright red. :roll:
Krylon Fusion is basically a dye. It seeps into the plastic better then other paints to cover it all up. If you cut it you wouldn't noticed that it went in, but if you looked hard enough you would find a fine line of where the paint seeped into.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Dude. It's paint.
Hey, sup?

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Actually, he's right. Fusion does "fuse" slightly into the plastic. It's not really a dye, though.

Tibia

Post by Tibia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:53 pm

It's not dye. It is completely impossible to dye black plastic bright red. The paint may fuse to the plastic, but it's still paint, not dye.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Paint, dye, berry juice, I don't care as long as it gives the portable a nice lasting color.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 pm

:idea:
Hey, sup?

SgtSmackaho

Post by SgtSmackaho » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Hey I was wondering do they make clearcoat that is not SHINY I want to keep the flat black look but am afraid that clearcoat will "gloss" it up...