What is this stuff and how do I use it?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire
What is this stuff and how do I use it?

Post by thewise1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:54 pm

PICTURES BELONG TO HAILRAISER!! (DARTH64)

From what I can tell it's basically plastic that can be used to make 2 pieces of plastic look like one, and bond them together, then sand them down so they're flush. Then paint it to make it pretty. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

So what is this gray stuff? I could really use it.

PHOTO BELONGS TO HAILRAISER!!11!

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:59 pm

BONDOOOOO?

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:02 am

I believe it's, in his words, "Plastic Bumper Flexible Filler." He used it after he used ABS cement to fuse the plastic screen case that you see there to the Lazer Doodle case.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

jackfb13

Post by jackfb13 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 am

Twilight Wolf wrote:I believe it's, in his words, "Plastic Bumper Flexible Filler." He used it after he used ABS cement to fuse the plastic screen case that you see there to the Lazer Doodle case.
Jeez, you really have been lurking...

Shoot me an invite!

Twilight Wolf
PSN Username:MySegaSaturn

Post by Twilight Wolf » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:30 am

Heh, I remember when hailrazer first showed off the Darth 64.

But anyway, here's what he says:
hailrazer wrote:All integrated plastic parts were ABS Cement melted and fused to the original case, then hard filler bumper epoxy was used then soft fill bumper epoxy for the finishing touches.
As it turns out, though, I was wrong: That was hard filler in that picture, not the flexible bumper stuff; that was added later. My mistake.
Tchay wrote:
samjc3 wrote:Fire. Youve probably heard of it?
No he's from Canada.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:45 am

if it were one of my systems i could tell you without a doubt what it is. whereas most people use epoxy or bondo and hotglue to hold peices together i use a concoction i first heard about on the mp3car forums. its wonderful stuff called liquid ABS.

to make liquid abs take any scrap peice of abs plastic and cut it up into little tiny peices, the smaller the better. powder if you can manage it! then put the plastic peices in a sealable glass container (i use a jelly jar) and pour in just enough acetone to cover the plastic. let it sit and stir occasionaly and wait for the plastic bits to disolve AND YOUR DONE! simple as that

the reason this works is because abs plastic disolves when certian solvents (like acetone) come in contact with it. disolve it in a solution of acetone and BAM you got liquid plastic. acetone evaporates and you have a solid peice of plastic again. awesome for fusing seperate bits together. only 3 things of not about it tho

1.the liquified plastic when solid is not quite as strong as the original plastic, i would say something like 70-80% as strong
2. big chunks take a LONG time to disolve.
3. air bubbles! just from mixing your going to have small air bubbles and small ones will form in the plastic from the acetone disolving which is why its always good to coat in bondo after you get the desired shape. also laying down a layer of liquid ABS ontop of another not completly set layer can cause large air bubbles to form between the layers.

i appologize in advanced for the horrible formatting! :lol: its early in the morning and ive been awake 15 hours!

HazmatB

Post by HazmatB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 am

I don't know for sure if this will work triton, but often air bubbles can be coaxed out of liquid plastics by heating the air above the plastic. So running a blowtorch near the seal (not directly onto it) might resolve some of these concerns.

Triton

Post by Triton » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:06 am

it kinda works (i used a butane lighter) but it really makes the outer surface look like hell :lol: if your careful with your layup and work in fairly thin layers spaced out over adequate time its not much of an issue/ have a look at my gp2x thread for an example of what you can do with the stuff!

cennar

Post by cennar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:22 am

triton your so getting bondo from me for your birthday. Capricorn right?

Triton

Post by Triton » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03 pm

ares actually :lol: i have bondo but i wouldnt mind getting some rage gold i hear its awesome :lol: