Stainless Steel vs Aluminum

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

x 77 x
Stainless Steel vs Aluminum

Post by x 77 x » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Looking to make a XBox 360 laptop. Have a friend that works at a machinist shop and can get me some Stainless or aluminum.

I like the look of stainless because I wasn't going to paint the metal, but am a little concerned if it might cause any heat issues. Will probably use metal for top and bottom plates and plexiglass or lexan for side walls.

Anyone have any suggestions?

collinE

Post by collinE » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:36 pm

shouldn't be a problem either way if you keep it well ventilated with a decent cooling system. What you're describing sounds pretty good structurally. Just make sure it has good airflow.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

jeuhrn

Post by jeuhrn » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:36 am

I'd go with aluminium, steel is a _lot_ heavier, and for this type of use you don't really need the qualities stainless steel has over aluminium.

Blanka

Post by Blanka » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:25 pm

If it is for virgin looks, go aluminium too. Anodised aluminium looks slicker than slick compared to greasy-finger-stainless.

Turknatr12
360 GamerTag:turknatr
Location:Richland Center, Wisconsin, USA, North America, Earth

Post by Turknatr12 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:51 pm

When I built my xbox, I used aluminum because of its heat conducting abilities and it is a lot lighter.

"Look at you, flying through the air majestically, like an eagle piloting a blimp."
http://www.youtube.com/user/RMSJaggers?feature=guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;