Case for original SNES

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

JeffMan
Case for original SNES

Post by JeffMan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:31 pm

So I have a quite messily-done SNESp right now (see sig) and I'm looking to simplify its case, and I have some questions:

1) To save myself from opening my monstrosity prematurely, can anybody tell me the dimensions of the motherboard of the original SNES model?
2) Would any of the cases from polycase.com fit my SNES motherboard + controller + 5" PS1 screen?
3) If I have to build a case myself, what would you recommend for a starter with no cutting tools or experience? Wood or plastic? Invest in a dremel?
4) I don't plan on relocating the cart slot, and while that's going to save me on the thickness of the unit, do you guys have any tips for keeping the cartridge stable while it's inserted? Right now I have to press pieces of plasticene against the cartridge so that it doesn't move when I'm playing :\

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:37 pm

From the top of my head I believe the original snes (no apu) was 19 by 17 cm. it's pretty square.

JeffMan

Post by JeffMan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:53 pm

I see. :\ And I wanna make it portrait-style as well (don't want to split the controller because tact switches are impossible to find offline here), so that adds another 6.5cm to the length. Looks like I'll have to build it myself :p Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Do you think that I could find some old hardcover book and use the covers as board material? It's pretty durable, abundant, and probably not too hard to cut/shape. Maybe not for the walls of the unit but at least for the faceplate and backplate.

Valium

Post by Valium » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:02 pm

JeffMan wrote:I see. :\ And I wanna make it portrait-style as well (don't want to split the controller because tact switches are impossible to find offline here), so that adds another 6.5cm to the length. Looks like I'll have to build it myself :p Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Do you think that I could find some old hardcover book and use the covers as board material? It's pretty durable, abundant, and probably not too hard to cut/shape. Maybe not for the walls of the unit but at least for the faceplate and backplate.
How does the controller add length to it?

THON

Post by THON » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:26 am

Yeah, It's not like you can't put the controller on top of the SNES. Like you did.

sammy

Post by sammy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:23 pm

Old book cover :shock: That's the weirdest idea I have ever heard. It might work, but it woudn't be very durable. Don't you want you're 'probably quite expensive snesp' to be in some nice looking case? Try buying a project box or something. It'll look a lot better.
Last edited by sammy on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Yeah Sweat + Book Cover = :(

And you can split the controller without tact switches. just scrape the traces and solder to them.