Spray Paint

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

manhackman
macmods spraypainting guide

Post by manhackman » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:56 am

macmod.com has a great spray painting guide.
http://www.macmod.com/content/view/807/226/

If you want some awesome colour selection do a little digging for "Montana" or "Belton" brand paints. They're European spray bombs preferred by graffiti writers the world over. Just shake the cans a lot longer than you think you'd need to 'cause chances are they've been sitting on a cargo boat for 3+ months.
http://www.mtncolors.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.4/.f
http://www.artprimo.com/belton_molotow_spray_paint.php

Gamerdude

Post by Gamerdude » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:59 pm

I have found that Candy colors are rather good for painting plastic cases but the problem is the surface has to be very clean and the paint must be built up in thin coats and still should not be very thick at all :shock: . Also It should be clercoated since the upper layers of paint are thin and will chip easily to revael the undercoat :? . If you use this paint I reccomend that you do not do this in a moist enviorment especially outside. If done on a moist day (above 45 percent humidity :roll: ) the clear coat will turn white. I am not an expert so the hummidity is just a estimate on the projects I have done 8) .

I hope this has helped and I have had great sucess with these paints but I would reccomend practicing on something that is not that important (like that old case you never needed) do not go overboard as these paints are expensive.

Again hope this helped and if you have any questions please send me a message.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:13 pm

If you do a lot of panting like me, then I reccomend you sand prime and paint the caps!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:07 pm

I haven't seen this before but it seems so obvious. If you're making your entire case out of a clear material (Plexiglass or something), why not spray paint the inside of the case instead? :?

EDIT: *reads the next two posts* Yup, I guess I missed those. :P
Last edited by bicostp on Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:20 pm

bicostp wrote:I haven't seen this before but it seems so obvious. If you're making your entire case out of a clear material (Plexiglass or something), why not spray paint the inside of the case instead? :?
http://skytroniks.com/images/n64p/100_1942.jpg

I love the iPod look that comes from it, and it looks great as long as you don't scratch the outside. :P

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:13 pm

bicostp wrote:I haven't seen this before but it seems so obvious. If you're making your entire case out of a clear material (Plexiglass or something), why not spray paint the inside of the case instead? :?
Maybe you just missed it. I did the back side of the digital picture frame I made for my girlfriend by doing that. I got the idea from this forum.

It works great, and I've always wanted to make an Atari portable using that and bent aluminum sides. Maybe a summer project? I have the Atari and a possibly working screen...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:35 pm

Skyone that looks great!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:03 pm

How well do these techniques hold up to abuse/which holds up best? I want to paint my PSP white (the faceplate is purple :P ) and I want to know what to do so that I don't have to repaint it every few months.

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

vskid wrote:How well do these techniques hold up to abuse/which holds up best? I want to paint my PSP white (the faceplate is purple :P ) and I want to know what to do so that I don't have to repaint it every few months.
I recommend the vinyl based paints I mentioned... They take less damage.

All paint jobs damage with the right amount of force, it depends how well you do the paint job.
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.
vskid wrote:I'm safe, I live in Utah. :P

Gamerdude

Post by Gamerdude » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:29 pm

You know they make white PSPs, don't you :shock: .
SS64 (Super-Small N64) 8%

Gathering materials (and cash) to build it

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Gamerdude wrote:You know they make white PSPs, don't you :shock: .
You know a white case costs more than a can of white spraypaint and clearcoat, don't you. :P

specter539

Post by specter539 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:39 pm

Touché. Nicely done. How many clear coats is over kill? I'm thinking like 10 just to give it that super protective finish.

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:31 pm

For those of us in northern climates, when spraying isn't easy during the winter, I use an old PC cover. It's protected on three sides, so there's no overspray. I can do it in the house, right in front of the door. I just open the door while I'm spraying, then close it again. It's a great way to keep everything warm and not gas yourself out with bad fumes.

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Sat May 10, 2008 9:46 am

I want to spay paint my Xbox controller what type of paint should I use?
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

phantom92opera

Post by phantom92opera » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:01 am

for all xbox 360 mods and paint jobs visit http://www.llamma.com and http://www.xbox-scene.com
their forums are extremely accurate and helpful