The dremel(i assume this is for making the case)

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

Dilberitio
The dremel(i assume this is for making the case)

Post by Dilberitio » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:12 pm

How important is the Dremel. I am trying to save money and I don't want to buy it unless I have to.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:19 pm

It makes things a lot easier. A lot. But you can get away with using a combination of other items instead. Just takes longer. Things like... exacto knives/pliers/cutters/nibblers/etc.

KIWIDOGGIE

Post by KIWIDOGGIE » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:14 pm

go to lowes and get a small hand held batt powered wit attachments for 30$ us
WTF is a sig?

Droke

Post by Droke » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:48 pm

A dremel doesn't only make it easier, but higher quality. I got mine for about $50 as Sears, came with most basic attachments and is fairly good quality. It allows you it cut, drill, and sand quickly, easily, effectivly, ect. Its well worth the money.

You can do without, but doesn't mean its worth not paying $30-60.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:03 pm

If you're on an ultra-tight budget, try looking around some close-out stores for one. Like Marc's or Big Lots. I just bought one at Marc's for $8. No speed settings though. I might try and hack in something so it does.

DK

Post by DK » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 am

If you want speed control, use a dimmer control from a lamp. And I couldn't live without my dremel, but I warn you, don't poke yourself with it.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:26 am

You could build something like the Afrotech Cheap Soldering Station:

<a href="http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/1302 ... icture!</a>

The page on afrotechmods.com is kind of profane so I won't post it here, but it's simple enough to find form their homepage.

You don't need a Dremel tool if you don't want to buy one, but it will make working on cases a lot faster.

Junglist

Post by Junglist » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:38 pm

I would have to say that it can be a very valuable tool when it comes to generally any type of hardware mod. Although, I personally would have to say "no" to a cordless/battery operated model, they generally don't pack quite the punch and often don't last long enough to get the job done. I use mine all of the time, from either cutting random PCB's to metal to random bits of shiny stuff to entertain myself :D

Though I'd say be sure to wear safety [the]goggles[they do nothing] and possibly a mask depending on what you're cutting. I ended up inhaling about 1/4 of a CD-ROM drive yesterday...

edit: Mine is a 2 speed that I got for about $40 from an ACE Hardware. It came in a nice case with a good number of cutting blades/bits/buffer wheels.
Last edited by Junglist on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:41 pm

its not necessary just make sure you have some sharp exacto knife blades around and you'll get by fine
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Retromaster
Portablizer

Post by Retromaster » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:18 pm

Get the dremel that looks like a gun that has a handel near the cullet.
the brand is Dremel- that's actually a brand name. can't post pics 'cause my camera broke because of my relative's idiocy.
I have this dremel and it's AWESOME.
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!

Gamerdude

Post by Gamerdude » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Retromaster wrote:Get the dremel that looks like a gun that has a handel near the cullet.
the brand is Dremel- that's actually a brand name. can't post pics 'cause my camera broke because of my relative's idiocy.
I have this dremel and it's AWESOME.
This is the Dremel Stylus and retails for around 70 dollars at Wal* Mart though I would think that you could get this cheaper somewhere else. I do not like this Dremel but it is a nice cordless if you have to go that way. I reccomend a corded one since they can be bought for a lot less than a cordless. Also the proper term for a "dremel tool" is a high speed rotary tool.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:52 pm

Anybody looking for a rotary tool should check out the Black&Decker three speed at Wal-Mart for $25. I got it to replace my magically non-working two speed Dremel (which cost $40) and I actually think I like this one more. It plays nice with all Dremel accessories that I have, so it's great. Do yourself a favor and get the chuck thing that tightens down on any size attachment instead of using the original collet thing that comes with it.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!