Epoxy not drying?

Yes it is nice to be able to put your projects INSIDE something isn't it? You know, to hold everything together so it doesn't flop around? Discuss the techniques here!

Moderator:Moderators

joevennix
Portablizer
Epoxy not drying?

Post by joevennix » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:12 pm

I set the epoxy about seven hours ago, and it still hasnt dried! It was the kind with the two plungers, and i just ran along the metal strip of my case with it, so it was evenly mixed. It says six minutes on the box, did I do something wrong???

A.J. Franzman

Post by A.J. Franzman » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:17 pm

If the syringe did not have a mixing tip on it, that will not work. You need to squirt out equal amounts onto something you can mix them on, like a piece of scrap plastic, then mix them by stirring with a stick for at least 30-60 seconds. (less time needed for runny, fast-setting epoxies)

Even when using a dual-plunger syringe, sometimes you will get more of one part than the other (like if there was some air in one chamber or something), so watch when you dispense it and scrape away some of one of the parts if they come out uneven.

A mixing tip is a long tapered nozzle with a zig-zag path through it; they're usually clear so you can see inside. If you ever saw one you would remember what they look like. Usually you can only use one once, because the epoxy sets up inside (unless you can squirt some kind of solvent through it to flush it out after you use it).
Mum! Dad! Don't touch it! It's EEE-VIL!

WTD: Donated dead Atari 2600 consoles, mobos, or their ICs.
2600 NTSC cartridges and manuals.
Click for TRADE/SELL and WANTED lists.