Trade CNC router time for help building a portable system?

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

crazy climber
Trade CNC router time for help building a portable system?

Post by crazy climber » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello
I am a full time CNC router operator (3 axis). I have several years experience and am also pretty good with autocad and toolpath (both programs used for CNC programming) I am a longtime and original Atari 2600 fan and collector and am about to begin construction on my first portable Atari 2600. Here is my idea, let me know if this interests any of you....
I think this project is within my skill level but it would be nice to have kind of a "go to" guy to ask for help when I get stuck. That way I won't have to search the forums for hours (I am married with kids so I don't have the free time I used to) or post questions asking for help all the time, etc.. If someone here (who has built a portable system succesfully) wanted to kind of coach me through my first attempt I could then repay them with helping them build a nice profesionally routed case? If you had an autocad DXF file or similar that would be ideal but I could most likely work with a hand drawn picture, as long as you know the exact specifications/dimensions. I have not built a portable case yet though so I would not be able to design it, that would be up to you, I can just make it for you. Depending on what style you wanted I could supply material. We have a pretty much endless supply of 4mm composite aluminium (think plexiglass but stronger and painted) in a variety of colors I can use? I'm just kind of kicking the idea around to see if I get any hits. I haven't really started the portable yet so who knows, maybe I will be able to do it without asking for help....but I doubt it, looks tough - lol - let me know what you guys think, Thanks :D

jjhammerstein

Re: Trade CNC router time for help building a portable system?

Post by jjhammerstein » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Ugh, that would be the best thing ever. I wish I had the experience you needed. :x

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find someone willing!
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

crazy climber

Post by crazy climber » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Here is some of my Atariage feedback for trades etc, since I only have a few posts here...
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.ph ... 26953&st=0

HBN

Post by HBN » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:31 pm

I'm willing to help in any way I can. I have successfully built a working portable (Albeit without a case. Which I think is what actually killed the beast (Static)). It may not have been perfectly finished, but it did work. All of it. I don't know if this counts enough for you as a successfully built portable. And if I cant help you, I can direct you to somebody who can. I pay immense attention to those who excel is what consoles and certain aspects that as universal (IE: Cart slot relocations are pretty much always a pain in the ass - No matter the system. Of course a number of people are pretty damn good at it. Not me, lol.).

Anyways, I guess you could say I was for this idea. I'm also offering my services as said "Go to" guy.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:32 pm

I wouldn't mind.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:23 pm

I might be interested, but I like frankencasing.

Go with SS, he is smart, has connection to people who know more than him who could also help, and most importantly, NEEDS CASE HELP OH GAWD MY EYES ARE BURNING HOTGLUE.

... :wink:

Excellent

HBN

Post by HBN » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:26 pm

palmertech wrote:I might be interested, but I like frankencasing.

Go with SS, he is smart, has connection to people who know more than him who could also help, and most importantly, NEEDS CASE HELP OH GAWD MY EYES ARE BURNING HOTGLUE.

Hey, I'm smart too! Geesh. (I also need case help)

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:33 pm

HBN wrote:
palmertech wrote:I might be interested, but I like frankencasing.

Hey, I'm smart too! Geesh. (I also need case help)
Sorry, did not mean to slight you. :wink:

I was just saying that SS has made a LOT of portables, and the case would definitely get used. His cases are just terrible, usually, though (No offense, SS).

I would just hate for you to get this awesome case, then run out of money and not be able to pay your DSL bill to upload pics for us. :wink:

Excellent

HBN

Post by HBN » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 pm

palmertech wrote:I would just hate for you to get this awesome case, then run out of money and not be able to pay your DSL bill to upload pics for us. :wink:
Lol. Well, like I mentioned in my sales thread; I HAVE a job in Michigan. It's just a matter of getting to it. Which is why my shipments might be delayed (In case I need to move to MI like....NOW.). When I get there though....no more DSL for me. Damn.

Oh well, back to the topic at hand. I didn't mean to hijack.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:47 pm

I think I may be the person with the most case help need on here. SS has kinda refined his techniques so that they are semi eye appealing. He's even made a couple beautiful ones.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks. You too, froggy.

Yeah, I've been around the block enough.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Although I have not finished an Atari 2600 portable, I have a lot of experience with the system. I just haven't made a case for one yet. Perhaps that's where a CNC router can be of some use.

Feel free to message me with any questions you have. To date, I've completed 4 SNES portables (currently working on #5), a PSOne portable, a NOAC portable, and have worked extensively on the electronics for Atari 2600, N64, and GameCube (but never made cases for them).

Some links to stuff I've done:
My YouTube page with videos of my portables
SNES #2
SNES #3
SNES #4 video
My unfinished Atari project - it just needs a case!

From my experience, the Atari 2600 is a great starting place for a beginner. It's easy to chop the board down to size, and wiring the controls is a snap. Plus the cartridges are small so it's hard to beat that!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!