I purpose a Ben Heck TGIMBOEJ!!!!

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator: Moderators

nevermind1534
Steam ID: nevermind1534

I purpose a Ben Heck TGIMBOEJ!!!!

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:01 pm

A Tgimboej is a USPS flat rate box full of electronic stuffs that you can not bring your self to throw away but also might not use in the near future. It is a way to share components, and other electronics stuff with friends and members of the community who you otherwise may not get a chance to interact with. It is also a great way to get cool components and other electronic stuffs that you might find useful where as the person who put it in the box had no use for. I mean I have a junk box full of electronic components both used and unused and all kinds of other goodies and I am sure others on here do to.

We could throw in things like heat sinks, spare modding supplies, wire, leds, screws, external ports, caps, resistors, etc. I think this would be an awesome project for us to get going.

So what is the official definition of a Tgimboej? Here is the official answer straight off the official site.
The Great Internet Migratory Box Of Electronics Junk is a progressive lending library of electronic components. An Internet meme in physical form halfway between P2P zip-archive sharing and a flea market. It arrives full of wonderful (and possibly useless) components, but you will surely find some treasures to keep. You will be inspired look through your own piles, such as they are, and find more mysterious components that clearly need to be donated to the box before it is passed on again.

The rules.
Recipient Conditions for The Great Internet Migratory Box Of Electronics Junk:

1. Take out and add as much electronics junk as you like (but keep it small enough to fit in a USPS flat-rate Priority Mail box or the equivalent for your postal system).
2. Write up, photograph, document or otherwise publish in some way online at least one thing you took out (suggested flickr tag: TGIMBOEJ, see also: flickr group ). ****I Use my blog http://cjganttphotography.com/blog****
3. There is a little book in the box. Add a checkmark by your name to show that the box has been to you. Also propose a future recipient by adding their name and e-mail address to the book.
4. Within two weeks pass the box along to one of the people whose name is in the book. Before mailing it to them, send them this list and make sure that they want to participate.

More info on other Tgimboejs that are circulating around the world can be found here. http://tgimboej.org

I know cost could prohibit the sending of the Tgimboej across the pond to our foreign friends but they could start one too. There is no limit as to how many boxes we can start.
Maybe a US/Canada box for now?

So if some people want to do this I am more than willing to start it and over see the project. I'm thinking a requirement might be good feedback in the feedback thread?
Last edited by nevermind1534 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Re: I purpose a Ben Heck TGIMBOEJ!!!!

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:25 pm

I bet it would be heavy.
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

attacknick
Steam ID: attacknick

Post by attacknick » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:31 pm

it would get huge and heavy. i would be up for it though. :mrgreen:
too broke to make a portable.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:37 pm

That's why we would do a flat rate or large flat rate box.

SnowKitty

Post by SnowKitty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:21 pm

this sounds like a cool idea
meow

Tibia
PSN Username: Tibia1013
Steam ID: Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:14 pm

I'd be interested. But the flat rate box that costs about $10 to stay in the US jumps to about $25 to ship to Canada. It also has a weight limit of 20 lbs, but if it stayed in the US, the weight limit is $70 lbs. Also, I wouldn't want to go to the post office with a box of electronics and have to declare that. It could get pretty hairy. It'd also completely rule out my normal shipping method of heading over to Canada to ship things. I'm not going to be allowed to cross the border with a miscellaneous box of stuff, regardless of the value.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:24 pm

Tibia wrote:I'd be interested. But the flat rate box that costs about $10 to stay in the US jumps to about $25 to ship to Canada. It also has a weight limit of 20 lbs, but if it stayed in the US, the weight limit is $70 lbs. Also, I wouldn't want to go to the post office with a box of electronics and have to declare that. It could get pretty hairy. It'd also completely rule out my normal shipping method of heading over to Canada to ship things. I'm not going to be allowed to cross the border with a miscellaneous box of stuff, regardless of the value.
We could cycle it around the US, then send it back to me to send to Canada. I've sent various electronics parts to Canada (and declared them) multiple times, and they've been fine every time.

SnowKitty

Post by SnowKitty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:39 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:
Tibia wrote:I'd be interested. But the flat rate box that costs about $10 to stay in the US jumps to about $25 to ship to Canada. It also has a weight limit of 20 lbs, but if it stayed in the US, the weight limit is $70 lbs. Also, I wouldn't want to go to the post office with a box of electronics and have to declare that. It could get pretty hairy. It'd also completely rule out my normal shipping method of heading over to Canada to ship things. I'm not going to be allowed to cross the border with a miscellaneous box of stuff, regardless of the value.
We could cycle it around the US, then send it back to me to send to Canada. I've sent various electronics parts to Canada (and declared them) multiple times, and they've been fine every time.
or we could have a separate one for other countries, that way there's no pricey international shipping or customs crap to deal with. then again,
meow

yoshilime

Post by yoshilime » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:41 pm

i dont know....how would we each bike it across states if we might not have bikes? :lol:
Sometimes, life isn't fair, but you just have to work around it.

Excellent

nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:24 pm

yoshilime wrote:i dont know....how would we each bike it across states if we might not have bikes? :lol:
That's why we would use USPS.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:00 pm

I'd be left out in the cold, so no don't do it.

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username: FullFreak
360 GamerTag: GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:14 pm

I've be in. I've got a load of Electronic junk someone may be able to use..

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:18 pm

What if somebody gets the box, then takes everything in it, then puts rocks in it to seem like it has something in it. Then when the next person gets the box, they find that everything has been stolen, only to be replaced with useless gravel?

I bet that if we do this, eventually it would be sent to a scammer. Other than that, I think it would be a cool idea.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

GoldenfrankO
PSN Username: FullFreak
360 GamerTag: GoldenfrankO

Post by GoldenfrankO » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:25 pm

How about people have to video tape then packaging up the box? that way they have proof and no scammers cn scam.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:28 pm

GoldenfrankO wrote:How about people have to video tape then packaging up the box? that way they have proof and no scammers cn scam.
Yes, then after they tape it and post the video, hey unpack the box, take everything out, then replace the stuff with useless gravel.

I know. We won't send the box to the newbies! We only send it to people that have been members for a while, and have good feedback in the trading post section.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/