Retro Handhelds

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
DestinyGames
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Retro Handhelds

Post by DestinyGames » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Hey, I'm a retro video game retailer in Michigan looking to carry some of these portable retro systems that I've seen around this site (N64, SN, etc)

How much do these generally run? Are they infringing any copyrights?

Ted
Destiny Games
Destinygames@ymail.com

User avatar
jleemero
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Yay Desert.
Contact:

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by jleemero » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:49 pm

DestinyGames wrote: How much do these generally run? Are they infringing any copyrights?
A massive range in price really.
Cheapest NOAC portables are probably around $100, if not slightly less.
All the way on up into the thousands for nicely done systems.

Also, no, they do not infringe on any copyrights, as many youtube commenters believe.
Portable consoles are completely legal, with the exception of those that use illegal hardware. (NOAC's, systems with Modchips, and... That's about it)

User avatar
nightwheel
Senior Member
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:49 am
PSN Username: nightwheel
360 GamerTag: nightwheel94
Steam ID: nightwheel
Location: Kentucky, We are KFC
Contact:

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by nightwheel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:21 pm

jleemero wrote:Portable consoles are completely legal, with the exception of those that use illegal hardware. (NOAC's, systems with Modchips, and... That's about it)
If I remember right. A NOAC is only illegal if it has built in Pirated roms. Besides, there are a lot of semi-mainstream retail devices that are based on NOAC hardware. Heck, the first Atari Flashback was based on a NOAC if I remember right.
Image

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

User avatar
yoshilime
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:47 pm

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by yoshilime » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 am

uhh, these arnt things you can mass produce and put on shelves. they need time (a lot of it). im not sure people could belt out the same portables 1,000,000 times. :roll:
Sometimes, life isn't fair, but you just have to work around it.

Excellent

User avatar
rikitheshadow
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

jleemero wrote: Also, no, they do not infringe on any copyrights, as many youtube commenters believe.
Portable consoles are completely legal, with the exception of those that use illegal hardware. (NOAC's, systems with Modchips, and... That's about it)
Yes, please set that straight with the masses. Making portable units of consoles and the like is not illegal. When Ben means "hacking" he just means manipulating the consoles to our advantage as hacking generally means, but is no way illegal. As we do not make mods that generally violate say like the terms of service, we do not download illegal roms or games, we do not make the console in any software way different, we basically take a battery, screen, console, and controller and put them all into one box so to say. We still use the original legal game cartridges or disks that where designed for the consoles.

User avatar
jleemero
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:12 pm
Location: Yay Desert.
Contact:

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by jleemero » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:32 am

rikitheshadow wrote:
jleemero wrote: Also, no, they do not infringe on any copyrights, as many youtube commenters believe.
Portable consoles are completely legal, with the exception of those that use illegal hardware. (NOAC's, systems with Modchips, and... That's about it)
Yes, please set that straight with the masses. Making portable units of consoles and the like is not illegal. When Ben means "hacking" he just means manipulating the consoles to our advantage as hacking generally means, but is no way illegal. As we do not make mods that generally violate say like the terms of service, we do not download illegal roms or games, we do not make the console in any software way different, we basically take a battery, screen, console, and controller and put them all into one box so to say. We still use the original legal game cartridges or disks that where designed for the consoles.
... Well, yes.
Exactly what I just said.

Exactly what many others here have said.

Exactly what 90% of Youtube commenters can't seem to get through their skulls.

(You think it'd be easier to make them understand, after all, children are so impressionable.)

User avatar
rikitheshadow
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:55 am

jleemero wrote: Exactly what 90% of Youtube commenters can't seem to get through their skulls. [/size]
(You think it'd be easier to make them understand, after all, children are so impressionable.)

Lol the only way i could think of try to teach the youtube idiots would be to make a video about it, whether it just be a video response or a slide show of pics and text, and then....the piece of resistance....disable the comments.

User avatar
Krepticor
Senior Member
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: Shadow Hearts

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by Krepticor » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:10 pm

retro hand helds can always be bought and sold for one simple reason, they are old, the companies may be able to pull out a technicality in an obscure field say with region playability, say the SNES has a region lock out function (stupid plastic tabs) This is kinda a grey area in the field but do not fret since the companies would only make pennies for the effort that would go into the process of litigation.

Modern systems are the only things that could be a problem. The PS3 is one where I will start where sony could screw you. To play ps2 imports and back-ups, an simple method is employed, one that could be done while the system is broken down ( I refuse to go into specifics on a general post don't ask I'm not going to tell you anymore than USE GOOGLE) They could state that this is a security risk upon their software developers and is a threat. However, If the drive is kept to a fairly original state, it is very unlikely. (loop hole)

The Wii and 360 require complex formatting of certain components for these grey areas, just keep it clean and their usually ain't a problem, just push BUYING games in your store that is always the key for anything, keep their pockets lined and no one really cares

That and remember this, companies will issue a warning to the ignorant, plead it. Because saying you get all your information from the internet doesn't hold too much in the line of a defense plea.

in short follow a few rules for selling these systems:

1) keep it clean
2) keep it cheap, cheap usually means no one really cares
3) only do things for the sake of promoting other product, no one cares when they are getting paid

As for prices, It usually depends on the modder, more experience folk (such as Mr. Heckendorn) charge a premium, by the hour, but you get what you pay for
Forum members are usually a good alternative, they may sacrifice aesthetics for price, but meh

Also, consider this, their is a bounty of knowledge here, why not give it a go for yourself? or at least use it to split up your costs, produce your biggest seller yourself, then contract other systems out to forum members, just a thought

PM if you have any other questions, I know a few things, I'll be happy to help
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

nevermind1534
Senior Member
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Steam ID: nevermind1534
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: Retro Handhelds

Post by nevermind1534 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Where in Michigan?
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Post Reply