Buying NES

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

aesopiankitty
Buying NES

Post by aesopiankitty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:09 pm

I want to buy an NES so I can portabalize it. I want to make a portable gamecube too but I know that's hard. So I'm told I should start here. Is it true and where can I get an NES?

exploding.monkey

Post by exploding.monkey » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Try eBay, craigslist, or thrift stores for a NES.

aesopiankitty

Post by aesopiankitty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Haha looks like I'm one of those BenHeckNoobs

themadhacker

Re: Buying NES

Post by themadhacker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:42 pm

aesopiankitty wrote:I want to buy an NES so I can portabalize it. I want to make a portable gamecube too but I know that's hard. So I'm told I should start here. Is it true and where can I get an NES?
Is it true? What do you mean by that? You mean is it true you can make an nesp? I'll let you figure that out for yourself.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

aesopiankitty

Post by aesopiankitty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:51 pm

themadhacker wrote:
aesopiankitty wrote:I want to buy an NES so I can portabalize it. I want to make a portable gamecube too but I know that's hard. So I'm told I should start here. Is it true and where can I get an NES?
Is it true? What do you mean by that? You mean is it true you can make an nesp? I'll let you figure that out for yourself.
I'm just wondering if it is the right place to start or if I could jump to gamecube.

Rototiller

Post by Rototiller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:05 pm

aesopiankitty wrote:
I'm just wondering if it is the right place to start or if I could jump to gamecube.
in my eyes, there's sort of a ladder of experience for portablizing, depending on experience. Its roughly NESp-SNESp-Sega Genesisp-Psone-gamecube/ps2 portable-this gen gamesystems.

so, yeah, it's a good place to start.
what sig? i don't see anything...

aesopiankitty

Post by aesopiankitty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:22 pm

do you think it makes any sense to start with gamecube? how long does it take to build one of these working weekends? and where can i find tutorial type material for the gamecube portable?
thanks again

aesopiankitty

Post by aesopiankitty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:24 pm

as in do i have to start with nes
can i succeed in gamecube with relatively little knowledge of electronics?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:31 pm

aesopiankitty wrote:as in do i have to start with nes
can i succeed in gamecube with relatively little knowledge of electronics?
You can succeed, but your chances are pretty slim. The reason you start with a simpler system is to learn, then you can apply that knowledge to future projects. Plus, older systems are generally cheaper, so mistakes don't break the bank. And they don't require as much power, so batteries are cheaper.

aesopiankitty

Post by aesopiankitty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:37 pm

alright thanks everyone
and before i put this to rest i just want to ask as i don't have an nes and do have an n64, is that a starting point?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 pm

aesopiankitty wrote:alright thanks everyone
and before i put this to rest i just want to ask as i don't have an nes and do have an n64, is that a starting point?
N64 is easier than GC, but they're easy to fry and require 2 different voltages.

robm

Post by robm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:06 pm

My first attempt at a portable is an N64, and I would have to say that it hasn't been as difficult as I'd imagined it to be.

To be honest, the hardest part is the case - no joke. You can throw internals into anything you want and power it up, but getting buttons and d-pads molded into a case? That's when it becomes a challenge, and quite frankly, it's been pretty enjoyable.

However, I should mention that I have 20 years electronics experience (not professionally, but nonetheless,) so picking up a soldering iron and going at some small pitch stuff doesn't really bother me the way it used to.

If you have zero electronics experience, you're going to have a hard time with the N64 - there are some very small soldering points on these (relative to older consoles,) and if you make a mistake in the process and power up the N64, you'll toast the board and have to track down another, requiring you to do all the prep work again.

Also, read around on the forums - there's tons of useful information by very knowledgeable people on here, so look around. Take special notice of tools you'll need, particularly a Dremel - you will NEED one of those, or at least some sort of knock-off with some good accessories.

If you've got the passion and the time, portabilizing is a great hobby, I've learned - stick with it, it's a lot of fun!

exploding.monkey

Post by exploding.monkey » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:44 pm

I've actually heard the N64 is one of the toughest.

I dunno, start with an NES or an SNES or something like that.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:58 pm

n64 is easy, I have no Idea why everyone says,"n64 is sooo hard z0mG!"
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts