Looking for an Apple notebook...

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Looking for an Apple notebook...

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, my sister is quite the little complainer. Her P4, 1.5 gigs of RAM desktop with some Radeon GFX card isn't good enough for getting on AIM and checking her stupid little MySpace. :roll: Anyways, she wants a new computer. First it was the Dell XPS ONE, but I informed my parents just how much it was, and why she didn't need it. Then she went on and looked at laptops, and fell in love with the MacBook. I tried to convince her how much Macs suck, but she won't listen. Anyways, I showed her some PowerBook G4s, and then some iBook G3 and G4 models, and she thought they "looked cool" too. Seeing as she obviously could care less about power and would rather have something pretty, does anyone here have an Apple notebook of any kind that's in good aesthetic condition they might want to part with? This isn't anything for sure, but she wanted me to check my "nerd boards" and see if anyone here had something to offer. :lol:

CTFan
Last edited by CronoTriggerfan on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:35 pm

My friend has a G3 iBook that he painted pink with blue sparkles (the bottle of paint said red, but it's pink). :lol: He's looking to replace it soon, so he might be willing to part with it.

Is it just me or does going from a P4 w/1.5gig ram to a G3 seem a bit backwards? :?
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:42 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:My friend has a G3 iBook that he painted pink with blue sparkles (the bottle of paint said red, but it's pink). :lol: He's looking to replace it soon, so he might be willing to part with it.

Is it just me or does going from a P4 w/1.5gig ram to a G3 seem a bit backwards? :?
I don't think she'd be too into the whole painted pink thing, but thanks for the offer. :lol:

And yeah, I agree about the power thing; but again, like a stupid consumer, she cares about namely two things: it's pretty, and it may or may not have a webcam slapped on the top!

CTFan

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:54 pm

See if you can find someone that you know that has one you could borrow so you can show her the difference in speed. Also, who is paying for this laptop? If its your parents, tell them she is being a brat (unless she doesn't get much of this kind of stuff). If its her, try to convince her that it won't be worth it, but if she just has to have it, tell her its not your fault if she makes a mistake (not that a mac is necessarily bad, but a G3 compared to a P4...).

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:17 am

1) macs only suck due to proprietary nature, for someone who is prolly gonna use it until it dies for pidily crap like that let em have it its is perfectly stable enough for the feeble minded, and will lasrt longer than you expect

2) Pcs are only useful if you can debug them don't bother trying to convince her otherwise, those who don't want to learn , won't

3) an older mac books surprisingly hold there value, probably due to the unix core they are centered around (the main reason they are so stable)

4) do not foret that all OPENGL games will run on a mac, like everything blizzard does, after diablo II. yes even WoW

in short, stable, reliable and great for people who do not want to be in the depths of PC knowledge, don't get me wrong I personally am a PC diehard, but I refuse to own a PC laptop (tablets are another story) Mac has the laptop market where I believe it should be, get used to it
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 am

Mac don't suck. If you're going to just talk about 'how bad' they are, this topic will be closed.

As far as your sister, it sounds like she doesn't need more than an older G3 iBook, if that's what she thinks looks cool. One advantage of giving family members Macs is you have to do less tech support. One of my cousins got a Mac and very rarely has any problems. My other cousin got a Dell and I've had to clean it up and get all the spyware off a bunch of times. Eventually I just locked the thing down so she can't install anything and the spyware still manages to get on there.

Just something to think about.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:03 pm

^ seconded ^
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

kidw/32+systems

Post by kidw/32+systems » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:48 pm

I have a fully factory optioned Graphite G3 clamshell its the first one w/o fire wire that I need to get rid of.
It has the airport card and holds a good charge. Has OS 9
hereis a pic

PM me if you are interested
PlayChoice games 50/54 37 toppers

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:27 pm

I have a 500MHz G3 iBook, with a brand new battery, an Airport card, and the clear plastic painted white case. Includes 10.4.11, Office 2004, and a few other programs. I might be willing to sell this one to you for $300 shipped.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:20 pm

vb_master wrote:I have a 500MHz G3 iBook, with a brand new battery, an Airport card, and the clear plastic painted white case. Includes 10.4.11, Office 2004, and a few other programs. I might be willing to sell this one to you for $300 shipped.
Best offer yet; pictures? And how much RAM does it have?

And guys, I forgot to mention, she doesn't like the clamshell iBooks, she only mildly likes the 500MHz G3's and up, aka the "modern Mac". Sorry for any confusion.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:20 pm

Tell her to quit her (female of the dog species)ing!

Do with what you have and if you can't change it on your own effort, then do without.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
vb_master wrote:I have a 500MHz G3 iBook, with a brand new battery, an Airport card, and the clear plastic painted white case. Includes 10.4.11, Office 2004, and a few other programs. I might be willing to sell this one to you for $300 shipped.
Best offer yet; pictures? And how much RAM does it have?

And guys, I forgot to mention, she doesn't like the clamshell iBooks, she only mildly likes the 500MHz G3's and up, aka the "modern Mac". Sorry for any confusion.
Oh I forgot, I'll get them taken tomorrow ok?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks vb! If that's a good deal for you, and the laptop is in good aesthetic condition and has more than 128mb of RAM, then you can almost call it a done deal.

And Hayden, I agree with you 100%, but my parents seem to think that she is "inherently disadvantaged" when it comes to new computers and the like. I frequently upgrade my hardware and buy nice machines with MY money, that I WORKED for, and they now feel the need to cater to her because she doesn't invest in these sorts of things.

The biggest straw, though, was when I bought a new EEE PC over the weekend, because on my lifebook, the harddrive has died twice this year due to just carrying it around. The SSD in the EEE made for a perfect fit, so I went ahead and got it, after talking with my dad and taking a $200 loan (half the price of the computer), under the conception that I would pay him back that $200. Well, I guess that didn't fly with some people around here, so now she's getting some new monitor and a laptop. :roll: Spoiled? Yeah, completely. My sister's a total brat, and in the long run, I think she'll hit a brick wall and realize she can't talk to and treat people the way she does, because things aren't always handed to you.

Ummm.... what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Mac. :lol: Post those pics vb, and then we can talk, but it looks like a go!

CTFan

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:24 am

:roll: Spoiled? Yeah, completely.
says the guy who got an HDTV for his birthday and has an oqo and a lifebook and an EEEPC and an ipod touch and has spend 5 grand on ebay recently :lol: :roll:

rockem sockem forever!

Post by rockem sockem forever! » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:35 am

I know a guy that found a powerbook 150 in his garage that boots up faster than is moms vista machine :lol: .
gamelver wrote:Cuh Cuh Cuh CLOSERIZED....