Do not sell / trade mod chips here

Looking for a special part, or have extra stuff you don't need? Trade, sell and buy it here. (Note: Transactions are not monitored by benheck.com)

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin
Do not sell / trade mod chips here

Post by benheck » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 am

I would prefer if people do not sell or trade mod chips of any kind on this forum. I am all for hacking/modding, but not modding in the sense of rigging game consoles to run copied discs.

Admins, please lock/delete such topics if they pop up again.

Also don't think I'm a sell-out for blocking such items here. Truth is I sold out YEARS ago, not just recently, and I've been against "mod chips" pretty much since the beginning.

-Ben H

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:34 am

I don't understand what the issue is as a lot of us would use those chips for legitimate purposes such as homebrew. I know I want an xbox chip but I wouldn't bother using it for piracy since I have all the games I want.
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

dshacker

Post by dshacker » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 pm

the problem is that if theres mod chips being sold on this site, the Ben could get sued for even allowing it, as well as the people that are selling em.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:24 pm

dudex77 wrote:I don't understand what the issue is as a lot of us would use those chips for legitimate purposes such as homebrew. I know I want an xbox chip but I wouldn't bother using it for piracy since I have all the games I want.
And LimeWire can be used to distribute a home movie but that doesn't mean that's its intended purpouse. dshacker is right, if someone selling modchips here gets busted, Ben could be held at least partially responsible (as an accessory or something), because the actual transaction happened here, on his server.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 am

wait a minute, are modchips even illegal?

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:50 am

Yes, they are, 32 modchip sellers/installers in the US got their wares seized by Customs at the beginning of August.
They shouldn't be illegal, but for some bizarre reason they are, and even though I support the discussion, use, distrobution of modchips, I don't think we need the judge signing a warrant for Ben's possessions.

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:16 pm

off of subject but dshacker, you have a lot of nerve coming back here after ripping 2 people off :x :evil:

r3ap3r

Post by r3ap3r » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:27 am

Kyo wrote:wait a minute, are modchips even illegal?
They aren't illegal in Australia YAY the federal court allows them because of there development purposes.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:37 am

they are illegal in the sense of what the people do with them, the rewriting of the firmware breaks copyrights and such, however, the back-up thing is solely based on the individual, and one needs to use such properly, the fact is Ben wants NO trouble, so lets grant him that privilege
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

OniKyanAE86

Did you guys hear?

Post by OniKyanAE86 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:50 pm

"In a landmark historic occasion on 11 June 2008 at the UK High Court the legal argument that modchips do not circumvent copyright protection was upheld by Judge Justice Jacobs.

The granting of this appeal based on the argument that the copyright infringement has already taken place before the use of a modchip has resulted in the squashing of all 26 counts against MrModchips.

The defendant MrModchips was awarded full costs as a result of his successful appeal and offered his most sincerest thanks to his legal team and his many well wishers who had supported his fight for justice in the face of what are now no more than corporate public bullies."

Wow, never thought this could happen! Copyrights are broken by the console when it reads the disc/cartridge data and "copies" the game files into Ram in the console to process.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 pm

That's Britain. We're in the US. In any case, Ben, the server, and this forum are all based in the US. We're bound by US Law.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

Bay_Wolf

Post by Bay_Wolf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm

Also, it really doesn't matter if they are illegal or not. Ben doesn't want them sold on his site then I think we should all respect him and not sell them on HIS site.

Regards,
Bay_wolf.

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:12 am

Bay_Wolf wrote:Also, it really doesn't matter if they are illegal or not. Ben doesn't want them sold on his site then I think we should all respect him and not sell them on HIS site.
Amen, brother!

cool2000m

Re: Do not sell / trade mod chips here

Post by cool2000m » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 pm

benheck wrote:I would prefer if people do not sell or trade mod chips of any kind on this forum. I am all for hacking/modding, but not modding in the sense of rigging game consoles to run copied discs.

Admins, please lock/delete such topics if they pop up again.

Also don't think I'm a sell-out for blocking such items here. Truth is I sold out YEARS ago, not just recently, and I've been against "mod chips" pretty much since the beginning.

-Ben H
does a wiikey SD adapter count as illegal? :?:

Exdeath

Post by Exdeath » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:23 am

What about Pandora batteries?