Out of all the projects in the book...

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Nick
Out of all the projects in the book...

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:33 pm

Which one is the easiest to make? I was thinking of finally making a portable.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:36 pm

SEARCH!!!

It's the SNES.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

visuallyImpaired

Post by visuallyImpaired » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:02 am

What about considering the cost? And avaliability? And all that stuff? Which would you recommend for someone to build first time, all factors considered?
NOAC Progress:
1 of 11: Currently ordering Famicom games and Famicom to Euro convertor.
*----------

x24

Post by x24 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:39 am

It covers all that in the book.. I'm assuming you have it since your posting in this forum..

Expensiveness wise, I believe he said the NES will probably set u back the least but its not as easy as the SNES at all.. If you use the book to make a SNES based on the Original Version 1 SNES and design your own case.. It'll be about the same price as an NES.. but you have to take the time to find all the places that the books referring to since they are in different spots..

S q u e e !

Post by S q u e e ! » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:35 am

I don't think that difficulty makes a difference. IMHO, the harder it is, the more experience, and also, if you really like a specific system, you would portabilize it no matter how hard it is.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

~Eddie Izzard

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:01 pm

Break down and I want all you newbies to search next time! Hell one of the mods can copy this and make it a sticky for all I care.

Atari portable, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hardest) the Atari is a 7.You have a lot of soldering wires, cutting the board down and the video mod. The book puts this thing at about $250-325.

NES portable, is a 8. This is because you end up building a new A/V module for it requiring more soldering then a novice might want and just a hell of a lot of tedious wiring (there are 60-72 pins on the cart slot people). Cost is $175-330.

SNES portable, is a 4. You just really solder on controller(s), A/V output, and a battery very straight forward and simple. Cost is $210-350.

PSone portable, is a 6. This one again is simalar in hacking to porablize like SNES. It's higher though because of case design having to involve a cd cover (beware the deadly typle 1 laser). Cost is $150-325.

Now remember that you can cut cost down on some of these, like the SNES v.2 can be used instead of the SNES mini. You'll just have to make changes to the case to fit these changes in.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

visuallyImpaired

Post by visuallyImpaired » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:11 pm

Is there any difference between NTSC and PAL consoles?

Apologies in advance.
NOAC Progress:
*----------

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:40 pm

With the 8bit consoles (Atari and NES) you'll run into differences and may have to change things like the video mods. However the SNES and PSone can be set for NTSC or PAL by a simple region switch.

I am a geek.

visuallyImpaired

Post by visuallyImpaired » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:30 pm

So, (as I'm planning to build the NES), what region does the book cover? And , if it's NTSC, which it probably is, how can I figure out the differences for PAL?
NOAC Progress:
*----------

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:38 pm

Since Ben hails from Wisconsin USA, the book depicts NTSC systems.

If you can find the pinouts for PAL consoles, you should be good to go. (The principles are the same) All you really need are the pinouts.