Nes board fragility? not apparent in book.

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Nes board fragility? not apparent in book.

Post by Arnold Schwarzenegger » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:27 am

12/14/05 ups delivered Ben's book. Even though I don't have the screen yet. After reading extensively a couple days, and paying very close attention to detail(Reading over, and over). I couldn't wait to begin so I started preparing my nes motherboard verbatim to Ben's instructions. The expansion slot was a tad difficult even after removing as much solder as possible, still the force I felt needed to pull or pry the slot off could have either broke the board completely or damaged it in my opinion. Being super careful, and considering I have never desoldered anything it took me three hours to completely prepare the board start to finish. I did make a microscopic topical nic on the nes board while using a screwdriver to pry the expansion slot however. Not being experienced with this type of engineering....I hope that nic(scratch) does not ruin anything. One thing that might be of some great help to people trying to remove the useless expansion slot which worked for me in the end, was after desoldering the leads for the slot the best you can. Take some needle nose pliers, and just start crunching up the pin connector inside the slot. Then you can lift the slot up, and out without the pins because you just crunched up the part of the slot that the pins are attached to. This would allow someone to use thier fingers, and pull out each pin individually(easier) instead of pulling/prying the enitire slot with all the pins resisting (harder). My main concern is if I have already ruined my board, and how sensitive is the board to damage through this board prep. And is their any way to cosmectically tell if a board has been damged through heat or nic's on the board. My board looks like it's in great condition. Overall, I love this book, I wish I could thank Ben in person for writing it. I am 26, and I have had this nes since I was 8. Hopefully with Ben's book me, and my Nintendo will be together again. Any comments or advice is much appreciated.
A true friend will stab you in the front

fatman
Steam ID:carlylebrooks

Post by fatman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:53 am

a small scratch on the board shouldnt hurt anything, unless its a deep cut that broke a circuit trace or something. but you said it was just a microscopic nic, so you shouldnt have any problems.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:17 am

8bit chips are by no means as fragile as 32 or 64bit chips. You can safely leave you NES board out unprtected and not worry about dust damaging it. The only thing you need to be careful about is votlage, you can not put in more then 5.5v into the board or it will fry.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:52 am

indeed my first snesp i beat the hell out of it, i dropped it on the floof got solder on it alll that stuff and it still worked. but no longer works :( bad wiring, my own fault
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Arnold Schwarzenegger

I'm back

Post by Arnold Schwarzenegger » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:13 pm

Fatman, Turbotax 1.0, and Sparkfist....thanks for the the responses. I am glad I could get some re-assurance from you guys. I hope to learn this book as well as I can. I also hope one day this book will help me accumulate the skills needed to go further than the last page. I would like to make a Nes Micro like Ben did using the noac chip. But I do not think my skill level is quite their yet. I don't know how to wire the whole thing honestly. I don't want to make a gamegrrll either. I want to use cartridges with the unit while the gamegrll uses the built in games only.
Thanx again guys

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:21 pm

In an old copy of "Nintendo Power" I remember reading a letter from a kid who was taking his NES to a friend's house to play and sat it down by the car in his driveway. He forgets the bag is lafing next to the car and his mom runs over it with the car. The plastic casing broke and the metal RF shield was all bent up, but after bending the etal back so he could fit a cartridge inside, it still played games.

I think Nintendo's reply was "We don't reccomend that you run over you NES with a car" or something like that.
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Duh I found it....

Post by Arnold Schwarzenegger » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:27 pm

Apparently I will be able to go further than the book one day....because I found the wiring diagram for the noac chip. So my statement in the earlier post I made in this thread about not knowing how to wire the noac has been solved. Thanx =)

GamingRev

Actually Noacs

Post by GamingRev » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:46 am

Actually Noacs (from my recomendations for a first portable) are a pretty good bet!
PS3 sucks...