instead of a console...

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

thegamerdude
instead of a console...

Post by thegamerdude » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:08 pm

can you put an operating system? what free os's are there? thx

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:10 pm

Wait, what? Do you mean put OS's on a console? Its possiblew with most cd based consoles (Gamecube is only slightly working though) and some handhelds. Thats about it.
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 pm

http://www.linux.org

Linux. Free OS with about a billion different varieties that can run on any system architecture.

Too much to explain...just read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:22 pm

Dude, you can put Linux on anythingjust about!

Maybe it will someday come in a Slackware: Toaster edition or Brain edition not likely :P

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:04 pm

There are projects that have Linux working on: the Dreamcast, Xbox, GameCube, and PS2. There is a NetBSD port to the Dreamcast too.

The Dreamcast OSs will not yeild much, really only good for novelty and programming. If you do go for a try it would be best to look at the NetBSD port. This was supported by Sega so there is more hardware supported by the system.

Xbox can run veriaty of flavors (XDSL, Fedora Core, ect.), both installed and live-cd. You can install linux two ways; soft-install involves an exploit and you only have it on an empty area of the hard drive; hard-install means you have a mod-chip and you use it to take full controll of the hardware.

GameCube this one is nothing like either the Dreamcast, Xbox or PS2, you'd use the GameCube as a termainal (to access a server/mainframe). It involves you using the network adapter, a game like PSO, and a SD > Memory card adapter.

The PS2 is the most useful out of all, but thats because it's supported by Sony. The kits are almost unobtainable, last one I saw on ebay was $500. But if you look over P2p networks you can find the install disc, then all you have to do is buy; a VGA adapter, USB keyboard, USB mouse, network adapter, hard drive, hard drive adapter.

I hope this helps you.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

thegamerdude

hey!

Post by thegamerdude » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 pm

cool! are u able to make games in netBSD or linux? yeah, i want to basically have an operating system running in my handheld instead of a console. actually, does anyone know of a very small motherboard

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: hey!

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:15 pm

thegamerdude wrote:cool! are u able to make games in netBSD or linux?
Yeah you can make a game with any OS, you just need to know how to program in a langauge. The biggest plus to programming on the console itself is that all the hardware like the CPU archetature and graphics are already taken in to acount.
yeah, i want to basically have an operating system running in my handheld instead of a console. actually, does anyone know of a very small motherboard
A small motherboard for what?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:13 pm

It sounds like he doesnt even want a portable system, just a PCp. There are many threads in F42, so search there.