PAL Consoles

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

lincoln174
PAL Consoles

Post by lincoln174 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:28 am

Hello, I have just bought Ben's book and I have a few questions.

Do the projects as listed work if I use a PAL console and a PAL monitor, as I live in Australia. Would it be possible to follow the projects in the book, and use the same procedures for my Australia console?

Also what project would be the easiest to complete?

Thanks

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:03 am

To my knowlege the only console you may have some trouble is with the Atari 2600. Other then the Atari the others sould only be easy, like crossa jumper or two and you'll ahve an output of PAL/50Hz.

I hope this helps.

P.S. What console are you looking to work on?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:07 am

Well spark I do not tottally agree with you. See we don't have the mini snes here in Europe. I don't know about Australia but my guess is they don't have it over there either. (could be wrong) However it shouldn't be way harder just because of that fact. (The snes I very simple I heard)

Edit: It might be bigger too.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:45 am

... The SNES mini isnt that differnt from the standard SNES. Futher its a simple mod to make an SNES able to play PAL/NTSC and JAP/USA/EUP games. Check out the mod on www.gamesx.com.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:53 pm

Yeah ok but still. I'm just warning that he shouldn't expect step by exact step instructrions. (with the layout being a little bit different)

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:35 pm

As long as you use a PAL system and a PAL screen, it should be just as easy as using a NTSC system and a NTSC screen. What would be a minor diffuculty is if you were to use one of each, i.e. a NTSC mini-SNES and a PAL screen.

I know that modifying a genesis/megadrive is as simple as installing a few switches. I don't see why other systems would be much more diffucult.
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

pasey25

Post by pasey25 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:40 am

the hardest part I found was getting a compatible screen for a reasonable price.

Also the PSone screen circuit board is differet from the NTSC one and the brightness mod is different (I don't know how yet but the components don't match the pics in the book)

lincoln174

Post by lincoln174 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:29 am

Thanks for you replies so far,

I am planning to make either a NES or a SNES, depending on which one is easier to make, and ultimately I want to make a PSONE portable.

I would rather make a SNES, but depending on which is easier, I am fairly lenient.

As for PAL/NTSC issues, NES would be easier to disable the lockout chip and I already have a Famicom converter, so it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Lastly, are Australian SNES/NES (PAL) cartridges different to American (NTSC) cartridges in any way, i.e. shape, no. of pins?

Thanks for your input, and I look forward to showing you my completed portable in the future.

pasey25

Post by pasey25 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:42 am

you won't need a famicom converter if you do the nes portable in Ben's book.

as you say its very easy to disable the NES lockout chip - so no issue playing NTSC games.

the NES PAL/NTSC carts are physically identical so no issues there.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:52 am

With the NES and SNES the carts are the same, the SNES carts do have a region coding but you can change the setting on the console to counter that.

The easier of the two is the SNES. All you do is desolder the power conection, the video connetion, then you solder on a battery, screen, and controller. With the NES you'll be removing the RF box and making a custom ciruit to get good composit out, you'll also be modifing the cart slot.

I'm not sure if this is one hundard percent but cant you get around the PAL/NTSC thing by using RGB?

I am a geek.

pasey25

Post by pasey25 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:58 am

Sparkfist wrote: I'm not sure if this is one hundard percent but cant you get around the PAL/NTSC thing by using RGB?
Only if the console outputs RGB. The NES does not - I don't know about hte SNES but I doubt it does either.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:10 am

The SNES does, thats why I asked.

I am a geek.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:14 pm

Go to http://switch-snes.com/ . Its good web page.

All Best,
Adrian

lincoln174

Post by lincoln174 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:26 am

Thanks for your input,

I have been persuaded to make a portable SNES, and I like prefer SNES anyway. Since I'll be using an Australian (PAL) larger SNES, since I don't think there is a PAL mini-SNES, will it be able to fit in the same case as described in the book, or will I have to make a slightly larger case?

lincoln174

Post by lincoln174 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:56 am

I have printed out some .pdf files from the Book's website, and I have discovered that my Australian (PAL) SNES cartridges are bigger than your NTSC ones, as when I checked some basic dimensions regarding the SNES portable, the carts is wider than the slot.

Any suggestions for altering the case to accommodate for the larger cartridges and the PAL SNES, which is bigger than the mini?