Which system should I start with?

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Weebl
Which system should I start with?

Post by Weebl » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:09 pm

I have the materials to build both a NESp and a SNESp (the console and screen and a few other things), which should I start with? I'd really rather make the SNESp since I'm on a limited budget and probably don't have enough money to buy another ps1 screen. Anyways, I was wondering if the SNESp project would be too difficult for one who's never done anything like this before, or if I should be able to do it first time if I have the book handy. I guess my question is should I build the SNESp first, or should I make the NESp first, since I'm assuming it is easier, so that I get the experience I need? Thanks for any advice you have for me.

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:12 pm

The SNESp is a lot easier, I say go with it. With NES you have to mess with a video amp and the finicky cartridge connector.

bioniclebert

Re: Which system should I start with?

Post by bioniclebert » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Weebl wrote:I have the materials to build both a NESp and a SNESp (the console and screen and a few other things), which should I start with? I'd really rather make the SNESp since I'm on a limited budget and probably don't have enough money to buy another ps1 screen. Anyways, I was wondering if the SNESp project would be too difficult for one who's never done anything like this before, or if I should be able to do it first time if I have the book handy. I guess my question is should I build the SNESp first, or should I make the NESp first, since I'm assuming it is easier, so that I get the experience I need? Thanks for any advice you have for me.
Assuming that you have the big NES and the big SNES, yes you should go with SNES. The cart slot is easier to relocate, and you dont necessairly have to re do it anyway!
Making XNA Games in C#.

Weebl

Post by Weebl » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:19 pm

Okay, thanks. I have the mini-SNES and a regular sized SNES, so I don't know which one I'll use. I also am contemplating actually trying to build the hand built case from the book, has anyone tried this before, and how hard would it be to do? My other idea for a case is an empty PSX case.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:21 pm

Weebl wrote:Okay, thanks. I have the mini-SNES and a regular sized SNES, so I don't know which one I'll use. I also am contemplating actually trying to build the hand built case from the book, has anyone tried this before, and how hard would it be to do? My other idea for a case is an empty PSX case.

I only read the first sentence and I was re assured. Go with the Snes. And for your case, See how small you can get the guts first, and then either design or use a case for it
Making XNA Games in C#.

jtaylor0913

Post by jtaylor0913 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:40 pm

Like thay said go with the snesp project it is easier.
Check my site www.dltaylor.com/jackson
Check out my BLOG http://jtaylor0913.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------------------------
Current Projects
N64p %5 Design and N64 Aquired

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:32 pm

And go with the mini SNES, it's easier than the big SNES and the original SNES looks better than the mini, so it'd be better for a home console. I assume you have Ben's book, (placement of the thread), so you should follow the hand-built instructions for the SNES. It's harder than the CNC SNES, but MUCH easier than the hand-built PSone. An added advantage is that the SNES outputs RGB, a very high quality video signal that the PSone screen can accept, you just connect 4 wires instead of 1 to carry the video signal.

Weebl

Post by Weebl » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:39 pm

Awesome, thanks. I just didn't want to be overwhelmed, since I'm doing this project for school, so I need it to work. Anyways, I'll go with the mini-SNES as you all suggested, and do the hand built case. Should I go with the plastic as ben suggests, or I was thinking I could do acrylic instead. I dunno, but thanks for the advice, everyone, I should be starting in the next week or so, and will have pics up when I finish.

G-force

Post by G-force » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:20 am

Acrylic is not very user friendly. It's hard to cut and it cracks easily. ABS would be harder to use than the stuff in the book, but not as hard as acrylic would be. And the stuff used in the book looks kinda wimpy... ABS is a lot tougher than both plastics. It's up to you. Almost anything will work, even laundry washing detergent bottle plastic might work :wink:

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:23 am

Well, you can use engraving plastic, like Ben suggests, or you can go with stronger stuff. Heck, you could even cut the entire case out of aluminum, though it'd be difficult (but super strong). Just do what you feel like, engraving plastic will probably work well, but if you find that too expensive, move up to something sturdier. Note that if you do the whole thing out of aluminum, you'll need to use a hacksaw to cut the case, and you'll probably go through about 3 blades.