Hacking Video Game Consoles 2

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:31 am

:roll: I think we all know this already, but we can hope, right? Maybe if Ben actually made the other 3 (his Exodus was very simple, unless we can't get the CNC files, we shouldn't have any trouble) then someone else could write the book with this permission, or even just put the guides online.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:49 am

speaking of putting guides online, i'm making one for a portable N64 on my site and *o* said he's making one too :D. i'm trying to make mine really thorough so even a complete newb could make one :D
ImageImage

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:13 pm

usbcd36 wrote::roll: I think we all know this already, but we can hope, right? Maybe if Ben actually made the other 3 (his Exodus was very simple, unless we can't get the CNC files, we shouldn't have any trouble) then someone else could write the book with this permission, or even just put the guides online.
The Exodus isnt complecated at all. The hard part is removing the rom chip, the other stuff like the pinout and connecting a controller are not too hard. Ben has the pinout in the download section of the site so you can make your own.

If Ben were to write a follow up I'd say give him like a year or more. They had him on one hell of a scheule that started in June and ended in October. That less then 6 months to write a book that is over 500 pages.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:05 pm

yeah, not only did he have to write the book, but make the portables as well. That's hard!
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Yes, but he should only need about 9 months for this one because he's got 2 of the 8 portables done already, he just has to build them again (or he could just use the pictures he has already and write instructions). I saw a hand-built N64 a while ago somewhere on this forum, and the GameCube is the only REALLY difficult one. In his last book, the hand built PSOne portable and the hand-built SNES portable were extremely difficult (and if you were a crappy solderer, the CNC PSOnep was hard too) so they took up more time than the others. I think that if Ben did a GameCube portable, he should make one design that could be built by hand, or built by CNC, that way the time would be about 3/4 the time of building both. The instructions would be simpler too, ("first, assemble the case according to one of the methods listed in the previous chapter, then do this…").

EvilnessNMyVeins

Post by EvilnessNMyVeins » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:00 pm

Well Ben also has to plan out a good design & make sure it fits. There is a lot more in those systems like a VMU port for the dreamcast, modem port as well, multiple controller ports for DC, GC, and maybe N64(to alter it) and the disc drives, which were complex enough in the first book. Test all for working conditions, battery life, and possible shorts. Also if he is not motivated to do it he won't. Plus the fact he has the Pheonix sales, and he is planning to sell large amounts of another portable. So if he devoted his life to it I'm sure your time would be resonable but seriously he has all this plus his normal Job

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:06 pm

Planning a good design is HARD if you want it to be a usable handheld.

For example, for my planned N64p, I'm being lazy. Slap the motherboard and batteries in a project box, mount the screen on the top, and cut holes for access to the controller ports and cartridge slot. It won't be a true handheld, but it will be portable and I should be able to play multiplayer games on it. Multiplayer on a single handheld system doesn't really work. With this, I'll be able to put it down on a table and have multiple people gather around it.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:07 pm

I'll agree that multiplayer split screen wont work on a small screen, even a PSone. However to be able to use the system as a system is something worth going after. As for the design... Ben has made all his portable's cases custom. Making cases for Ben is a couple (four at most) hour thing, then however to physicly construct it.

Making a book as I said wouldnt be that bad if it were a longer time line to work on it. Though with even that I dont think Ben would be up for it. I believe one of things thats taking a lot of his time is his other hobby, or Port Washington as we know it better. He moves between the two to keep a balance.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

EvilnessNMyVeins

Post by EvilnessNMyVeins » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:49 pm

Some multiplayer games will work fine on it such as Super Smash Bros :roll:
And other fighting games eventhough they are mostly 2 player

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:25 pm

I can think of 10 good reasons not to get crowded by 3 other guys looking at a small screen in front of me.

EvilnessNMyVeins

Post by EvilnessNMyVeins » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:37 pm

A/V out solves that problem.

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:09 pm

Yeah, if I go through with that design, I'll probably stick with mostly two-player games or things like Smash Bros that don't split the screen. Four-way splitting the screen on a 5-inch screen doesn't work well.

Another advantage of the "big, ugly box" design is plenty of room for AV inputs and outputs so, as was mentioned earlier, I'll be able to use it with a TV still.

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:16 pm

It's too bad that no one has thought of a console that has the ability to output the 4 players on 4 screens if it needed to, but I believe there are a few PS and PS2 games that you can link 2 consoles together and play each with your own screen. A/V outs are a must though, which is why I plan to include them in any portable I make through the use of the jack that comes built into the system.

louischance

Post by louischance » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:59 am

i think ben will make a second book.....

though if he did i think that he should make it more general and or more advanced.

I like following the directions that he has on portable building, but i think it would be really awsome if he focused on the act of building portables (finding out how to build your own portable i.e finding the solder points yourself etc.. instead of straight foward instuctions on somethin specific...) it could be like a book that would empower us with the knowlage to build awsome unique portables ourselves...

thats just one mans opinion... :shock: [/b]
beeeeoooop bewooooopp

*o*

Post by *o* » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:08 am

why dont a few of us write a guide for a portable (me and daaguy N64, Segasonicfan Ps2P, gamelver GCP, DKpa01 DCP)

possible?
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@