Please help an electronics n00b...please?

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Enhanced
Please help an electronics n00b...please?

Post by Enhanced » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Well, the main reason I came here was to ask what Ben means by leads. I'm currently reading through the section on soldering and desoldering, and he talks about soldering a wire to a lead. What exactly is a lead? Also, any other helpful tips you could give me would be good. (ie: I was planning on detatching the chip that the Game Boy Advance SP's screen plugs into that is attached to its mainboard, and attaching it somewhere on the GameCube to where the A/V signals coming from the GameCube would go to the screen as well as the outlet for Nintendo's Red-Yellow-White wire. I don't really know if it's even possible to acheive such a thing, but I want to connect the Game Boy Advance SP's screen to the GameCube in preperation for a portable.)
Gah...I rule you.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:08 pm

Let me just say a few things.

1. Welcome. :)

2. By "leads", I believe he's referring to either wires or the green lines on circuit boards that carry electricity.

3. Sorry, you can't use a Game Boy screen in that way because of the way it communicates with the main board. The only way a Game Boy Advance (original or SP) would work is if you bought a TV tuner adaptor for it. I know there's one for each of the GBA-based systems, but they install in different ways. The one for the original GBA is installed by removing the back of the game boy and soldering to the board and replacing the back with the TV tuner. The one for the SP, I belive, simply slides into the cartridge slot.

You can find the tv tuner adaptors at the Lik-Sang website. (But don't quote me on spelling. Just search the forums here for "GBA TV tuner", and it should bring up a few posts about it.

Hope this helps you. :)

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:16 pm

or gba av adaptor
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:33 pm

That's the TV tuner.

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:52 pm

reallyy????!?! its tiny!
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:54 pm

The GBa has that TV tuner thing with A/V in.

The SP has the TV tuner with A/V in, but also has that little one with just a/v in.

Enhanced

Post by Enhanced » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:00 pm

Ah. Thank you. I'll have to look into that stuff.
Gah...I rule you.