Flashing Xbox 360 and turning into a laptop

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
Re: Flashing Xbox 360 and turning into a laptop

Post by jdmlight » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 pm

kahnthedoof wrote:I am soon receiving a red ringed Xbox 360 for free.

I want to fix it, flash it, and possibly turn it into a laptop

If i fix this using the X clamp removal trick, then flash the DVD drive, will the Xbox still be able to function if i transformificate it into a portable, laptop shaped version?

I do not support piracy
Yeah it'll still work if you convert it to a laptop if it was working as a console (meaning if you do the flash and X-clamp mod and it works, it shouldn't have any problems if you make it into a laptop). However, the X-clamp mod doesn't last forever (although it does last a good bit of time). If you're going to put all of that work into building a 360 laptop, I'd recommend starting with a working 360.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

XterierK
360 GamerTag:XterierK

Post by XterierK » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 am

Excactly what he said above..

Replacing the x-clamps is a very temporary fix.

Reflowing with a heat gun doesn't last forever either. If you have a RROD'd console, chances are it will happen again with use.

If your really techinical, you could try reballing. http://tinyurl.com/392eqzt

If you are going to spend that much time and effort into making a Xbox Laptop, I suggest getting a Xbox Slim. Less chance of running into hardware failture.

ryguy425425
PSN Username:ryguy425425
360 GamerTag:Lupus Timor
Steam ID:ryguy425425

Post by ryguy425425 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:13 pm

From my experiences, just doing the x-clamp fix will not work. Use the heatgun trick, but do your research. Know exactly how long to hold the heatgun in certain places, what to clean the chips with, how to reapply thermal paste. I find that after a fix they will usually last 2 weeks or they're practically cured. If I were you, though, I would look for a 360 with a broken cd drive. If you can flash then it's an easy fix, and a lot more reliable. I was fixing the same 360 once or twice a month until I found one with a broken drive. It's been working fine for 6 months now. As for flashing, it should not effect turning it into a laptop at all.