can original xbox have more than one controller on one port?

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

hellfire
can original xbox have more than one controller on one port?

Post by hellfire » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:09 pm

im wanting to build a cabinet with an original modded xbox in it.. the reason i ask this is because im wanting to have two arcade style joysticks, 1 steering wheel and 4 controller ports in the front.. so i can have player 1 on all three types of devices(arcadestick1/steeringwheel/controllerport1), could i just splice them together to make them run off port 1 inside the cabinet? or do i need to run some sort of switch to cycle between them? i want to be able to use the steering wheel and xbox controller as player one too. that way if i want to play 4 player halo, i can use the xbox controllers.. or if i want to play a racing game, i use the steering wheel... and of course the arcade sticks for fighting and oldschool stuff.
heres the plans ive drawn up so far(below).. please dont laugh, ive never really used photoshop or built anything like this before, it was all trial and error for me.
plus the measurements arent gonna be exact.. this is just to explain the idea i have(im sure im not the first).. i just found an old blueprint of the "xmen" cabinet from the early90's and tweeked it some(made smaller and two pieces for ease of moving it) and added the stuff i want to do to it.
i might not go with this style cabinet(really big!).. im just not sure yet.. i guess it depends on the kind and size of tv i use for it.. but i will be building the cab.
i was also thinking of using one of those xarcade duel controllers for the arcade sticks.. just simply gut it and put them in the cabinet.. im hoping it will be easier.
does this even look possible?
also, would it be real hard to put the disc drive and power/eject buttons up front with the xbox in the back? or should i put the xbox closer in the front?
i was thinking i could save room by having it in the back.. plus it would easier to get to if something breaks.
please give any feedback you can.. thanks
http://mylittlegamer.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wizzard1

Re: can original xbox have more than one controller on one port?

Post by wizzard1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:15 am

If for personal use, why make it so thick (except for only to retain the classic look)??

Take a good 12" out of the depth, use a nice, bright LCD. I'd make a plank which can be inserted, which has a carrier which has a slide-in contact area to interface with whatever controllers you have on the plank.

sv650touring

Post by sv650touring » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Because the Xbox controller ports are USB ports, I'm pretty sure the Xbox wouldn't allow two devices on the same port at once.

One easy solution would be to use 4PDT 5v relays to switch between the devices. These can be purchased very cheaply on eBay, and they are very small and easy to tuck away. The current they draw is tiny compared to what the ports provide, leaving plenty for your controllers to operate. I used these to install a Logitech wireless controller receiver inside of my Xbox on port #1 so that when something was plugged into port #1, the coil in the relay became energized (the ground side was completed), which disconnected the wireless receiver and connected the device that was plugged in. You could just use a manual switch to operate the relay in your setup.

I got the idea from an article on Xbox-Scene, and it has worked flawlessly for years... unlike some of my projects.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Just use a USB hub with an external power supply for 2 at once.
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Basement_Modder wrote:Just use a USB hub with an external power supply for 2 at once.
Xbox can't have a hub between it and the controller. There is a hub in the controller for the memory cards, and it will only go one hub deep.