Tact Switches or Original Buttons?

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Clark101
Tact Switches or Original Buttons?

Post by Clark101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:40 pm

I am building a Portable Nintendo with a NOAC and i was wondering which was better using the tact switches or the original controller buttons? Cause it seems to me that the tact switches would be a bit stiff. Any opinions?

XCVG

Re: Tact Switches or Original Buttons?

Post by XCVG » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 pm

Tact switches are horrible for games IMO. Original buttons can't be beat but it's kinda hard to install them. You can get squishy tacts now and they are a nice compromise.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 pm

There are rubber tact switches that feel just like the button :D I believe rekarp was the one who found those. I'll see if I can find a link to it.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

Clark101

Post by Clark101 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 am

thanks, this is my first portable.

Erlex
Steam ID:Pelican417

Post by Erlex » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:55 am

eurddrue wrote:There are rubber tact switches that feel just like the button :D I believe rekarp was the one who found those. I'll see if I can find a link to it.
Found some. Thats a good idea, might need to replace my ridgid switches with these.
http://e-switch.com/index.php?contentID ... eriesID=92

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:32 pm

personally, I don't think regular tact switches are that bad, but that is just an opinion.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

MacGyver1138

Post by MacGyver1138 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:01 am

Can anyone say from experience if these buttons feel more like the actual controllers? I'm not opposed to using the "clicky" tact switches, but if these feel more like I am used to, I'll probably get some. (Of course, I'll have to find another 20 dollars or so of parts to get from Digikey. I might as well stock up in preparation for another build :P )

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed May 06, 2009 9:10 am

Well the mechanism is pretty much the same as a normal controller, only smaller. I haven't tried one yet though.

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Thu May 07, 2009 8:21 pm

It's $10 shipped on ebay for 50 of the mushy, godlike tacts. I love them. I can't believe that I almost used regular clicky tacts.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu May 07, 2009 9:48 pm

eurddrue wrote:It's $10 shipped on ebay for 50 of the mushy, godlike tacts. I love them. I can't believe that I almost used regular clicky tacts.
Link?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

eurddrue

Post by eurddrue » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Life of Brian wrote:
eurddrue wrote:It's $10 shipped on ebay for 50 of the mushy, godlike tacts. I love them. I can't believe that I almost used regular clicky tacts.
Link?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0345535055
even though you thought I was lying, and you could catch me, I wasn't. I find it highly annoying having a person following my every move, trying to find every little thing wrong with anything I do. So, I'm asking nicely, I don't want to start any fights, especially with a mod, because you piss off the administration, your screwed. I'm asking you to please stop.
wallydawg wrote:

jleemero

Post by jleemero » Thu May 07, 2009 10:43 pm

I LOVE those squishy tact switches.
Just love 'em.
Use them for near everything now!

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Paranoid much eurddrue?

Did you think maybe he wanted to buy them for himself? That's a good reason to ask for a link. Or even to help out the thread by posting a good source for the materials?

I haven't finished a portable, but it's really preference. I prefer things to be as authentic as possible, get that good nostalgic feeling.
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri May 08, 2009 12:28 am

eurddrue wrote:even though you thought I was lying, and you could catch me, I wasn't. I find it highly annoying having a person following my every move, trying to find every little thing wrong with anything I do. So, I'm asking nicely, I don't want to start any fights, especially with a mod, because you piss off the administration, your screwed. I'm asking you to please stop.
Whoa man! I only asked because I only have a couple left and need some more. 50 for $10 is a major bargain. I didn't think you were lying - I wanted in on the deal!
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

MacGyver1138

Post by MacGyver1138 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely be getting those. That's a very good price for 50 of them. I'm just glad I read this thread before I used the regular tacts I have.