What Project...

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

Machuca
What Project...

Post by Machuca » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:57 pm

hey gamers, i'm not exactly new to the forums, however, this is my first thread i've posted. To keep it brief and simple: what project should i start with?

Many of you have probably heard this question before, but i have a certain position. I'm not exactly pouring out money, but i do have enough for maybe one project and i was hoping to sell it when i finish so i would have the money for another project. i was pretty sure that my first project would be a NES portable but then i found out that a company already made that and its mass produced. so.. i couldn't really be able to sell a portable NES with a way cheaper one out on the market. so i really couldn't be able to make a portable NES.

all heil Nintendo!

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: What Project...

Post by thewise1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26 pm

I think one of the easier ones is the n64, it's small, nothing to rewire but the cartridge slot, and has some more powerful games, there are also a lot more guides on these forums for it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Machuca

Post by Machuca » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:33 pm

i bought bens book but i don't really know anything about building these portables. and the n64 isnt in there and where exactly could i find instructions?

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Yeah the n64 isn't in the book, that's probably why there aren't as many instructions for snes nes and ps1 because they're already in the book. I bought the book for tips, and because I plan to make a ps1 portable after I finish my n64 portable, which is my first portable. :wink:

You can find a lot of instructions in the stickies of the n64 board, including a full wiring diagram, plenty of people are talking there. Read through a few pages and read through ALL of the links of the stickies.

This is what motivated me to make and N64 portable:
The N6free lite

I know it won't be as good as his but I would love to play all of my favorite games I played as a kid on the road.

Machuca

Post by Machuca » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:50 pm

thanks for all the help but i seem to have a problem, on the stickies you mentioned all the links lead to a "site can not be found" except for 1( this is in the first thread btw)

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Ah yes the dead stickies, I know about those, in fact I think everyone does who's been on the n64 board for a week or more.

1. some of the links are dead because they lead to other websites that aren't around anymore.

2. say you get this in your url bar in your web browser http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11163

3. the forums have been updated since these were posted so the links aren't totally perfect.

4. first take the phpbb/ out of it so you have http://benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=11163

5. then put forums. in front of benheck so you get http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=11163

That should do it, there is a code out there for firefox that does it automatically but I forgot where to get it. :roll:

Anyway now you know that if you hit any links that say 404 not found on benheck.com then just do this to the url.

Machuca

Post by Machuca » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks a lot man you really helped me out! do you recommend any other website that might help out?

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:08 am

Off the top of my head http://modded-by-bacteria.com/ is a good place, on the front page you can see his magnificent ps1 portable. Just look through the tabs on the side bar. They open up into more options when you click on them so don't think that they don't have that much info.

Here's his guide for n64 http://modded-by-bacteria.com/index.php?pr=Nintendo_N64

It doesn't include the screen because he's actually making plug and play system the makes the entire console like one cartridge. But you can get some tips for the n64. Other than that he has guides for re-wiring, making vacuum formed cases, the whole sha-bang.

Machuca

Post by Machuca » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:32 am

wow in his guide hes very detailed and has a lot of pictures. thanks a lot.

thewise1

Post by thewise1 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:42 am

Yup, anytime. :D