The SNES, screws, spacers, sizes

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

ckrtech
The SNES, screws, spacers, sizes

Post by ckrtech » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Hey guys.

Finally getting started on the SNES project. Time to swallow pride & ask questions.

1: First, the screw sizes - the listing of parts to buy mentions size 4 @ 1/4", 3/4", and 1 1/4." As I skip through the chapter, I see the book says "Use your 3/8" size 4 screws to secure the screen..." as well as "Insert 1/2" long size 4 screws..."

So the parts listing doesn't seem to list all of the screws used. Just checking in advance, but are the sizes listed later in the chapter correct? If so, I am going to knife through the book and write down those extra sizes.

2: Types of screws - Err...process of elimination at Home Depot had me somehow coming home with metal screws. Don't they make like "machine screws" or something? Wouldn't that be the right choice? These pointed-screws don't look quite right. (Should I find an ACE Hardware?)

3: Nylon spacers - I bought some of the spacers that apparently need to be prepped with size 6 screws, but a size 6 screw goes right into the spacer. If there is no need to thread, it seems like they are the wrong size. (These are 1/4 x .140 x 1/4) - From Home Depot.

I haven't found a 1 1/4" screw yet...but then I was probably looking around the metal screws. These metal screws (size 4) seem to have a bit of trouble with the size 4 nuts. Again...seems like wrong screw type.

I am humbly open for suggestions about this stuff. My experience comes from soldering and electronics. I would rather make a fool of myself asking dumb questions on the forums than screw up the case work as soon as I start.

Thanks guys,
CK