PS3 to VGA Monitor? *A toughy*

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

popiul99
PS3 to VGA Monitor? *A toughy*

Post by popiul99 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:15 am

Hey guys I'm trying to connect my PS3 into my VGA or DVI monitor.

Now I know all of you will say ... well that's simple .. simply plug it in from HDMI to DVI ... yes of course that works, however we're filtering everything through the Pinnacle Video Transfer device, which is a PC-Less capture device that works with RCA only.

Ok so I'm using the regular RCA cables for this as the Pinnacle Video Transfer device only accepts RCA/Composite cables.

We need to figure out a way to make our PS3 work with a Video Component cable into our VGA or DVI monitor ... anyone would know the solution?

I ordered the following cable:

However isn't that VGA to Video out?

Please let me know if you guys have a solution to my problem .. I've been trying to figure out how I can connect the PS3 from RCA to my VGA/DVI monitor for a few days now and I still haven't found a solution!

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:35 pm

So basically you need a way to get Rca (composite) into your Lcd?

If so you have to use a converter box like the Kworld TVbox.

But they cost about $60 on Ebay.

I've looked into this quite a bit and there isn't a cheap solution.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

popiul99

Post by popiul99 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:50 pm

I see, so a regular cable will not upscale for me.

Well thank you for the information .. now I just have to see whether it's worth buying such a box considering that 22" LCD TV's go for around $300 these days...

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Wait a sec.... I thought the PS3 could ouput VGA?

Excellent

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:44 pm

palmertech wrote:Wait a sec.... I thought the PS3 could ouput VGA?
Way to read there genius. :P
however we're filtering everything through the Pinnacle Video Transfer device, which is a PC-Less capture device that works with RCA only.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Could you make the PS3 output composite and DVI at the same time?

Or would it be easier to have the PS3 output DVI and convert the DVI to composite?

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Oh, woops. :lol:

Excellent

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:41 am

well since the PS3 has the PS2 connector built in, you should be able to accomplish what you want from that port. I built a RGB to VGA cable from scratch, and it worked very nicely for my PS2 (only when progresive scan was enabled). I still have my custom built VGA cable, I could test it on my PS3 sometime if you want to see if that would work.

It wasn't hard to build at all, and it worked a lot better than the other official converters that were made at the time (3rd party).

But I am a little confused on what you are trying to accomplish (and I don't think that thing you are going to order will work).

Skor

Post by Skor » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:39 pm

If PS3 outputs HDMI, am I doing something wrong here?
HDMI to DVI
DVI to VGA
and then plug it into your monitor?
Am I missing something here, like would the signal just be really bad?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Skor wrote:If PS3 outputs HDMI, am I doing something wrong here?
HDMI to DVI
DVI to VGA
and then plug it into your monitor?
Am I missing something here, like would the signal just be really bad?
It just doesn't work.

Believe me I have tried it and so have a few hundred others.

You have to have a converter to go from Hdmi/Dvi HD video signals to Vga.
My Portable Systems:

NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:55 pm

HDMI is digital.

DVI to RGB requires it be DVI-a (analog) or DVI-i (supports both analog and digital) HDMI would be DVI-d (digital only)

Sony made a big mistake in not supporting VGA like 360 does

duo_r

Re: PS3 to VGA Monitor? *A toughy*

Post by duo_r » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Sorry this took so long, but I finally got around to testing my Ps2 VGA adapter that I made several years ago. Initially I did not think it would work, but after a few attempts it is a success.

I previously built a circuit that had an LM1881 that helped strip the sync from the green line (RGB) and split into H and V sync. It was a simple pinout to the VGA plug. Now my little box also outputs composite video, this is to allow you to see what settings you are changing in the PS3 menu. Here is the settings to get it to work:

Display Settings > AV Multi / Scart > RGB > 480P

and it works! For some reason the first time I did this it did not display an option for 480P, and that is a very key option.

There are some drawbacks - only 480P is possible using this connection. Why is this important to me? Well if the main HDTV is being used, that means no Street Fighter IV sessions for me. I have a 32" multi-monitor in the garage that actually is enhanced definition, but it can only accept signals over VGA connectors. At the moment the PS3 does not output signals higher than 480P using this connector, but for now it gives me the best picture possible on this TV.

Just an FYI for everyone - VGA on PS3 is possible (although probably not as useful). If anyone is interested in the circuit, I can try to post up the diagram for it later. It is a pretty simple circuit.

Another nice little tidbit I learned is there is a secret video setting mode when you power up (see tip #4):

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... m&skip=yes

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Make sure the vga box has a HDMI/HD Handshake. Or else you wont get video. PS3 Requires that handshake to display

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 pm

i will test some movies on this setup.
HotDog-Cart wrote:Make sure the vga box has a HDMI/HD Handshake. Or else you wont get video. PS3 Requires that handshake to display

duo_r

Post by duo_r » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Update - So I tested out some movies. Unfortunately copy protection kicks in when playing DVD or Bluray using the vga cable. Although this has nothing to do with HDMI because thw PS2 did the same thing. With dvd the macrovision protection kicks in. Bluray the picture is tinted green. Now eventually someone will come out with a mod to fix this. My chipped Ps2 defeats the macrovision protection. Now all my downloaded videos play just fine